flashing memories (happier than ever ver 2 pt.)

Letting out a breath that he didn't know he was holding, Wei Ying felt himself smile, the warm feeling in his stomach growing stronger, like a flame, not unlike the blue ones that scorched, holding steady. Lan Zhan was in shades of blue, he thought. Shades of azure, that soothed and clashed with his own crimson, but only to make things better. They made purple, and Wei Wuxian loved purple, even if it didn't always make sense. Love didn't make sense, and that was okay. But Wangji gave him courage, and he knew he wasn't afraid to fall.

Still smiling, he glanced up away from his phone. As if on cue, a familiar blue car drove up, and Wei Ying swore he saw a flash of gold. He's here.

It'll be okay. Grasping into his phone tightly, Wei Wuxian sat up excitedly, quickly turning the door handle open, and shooting out of the car in a heartbeat. Without thinking, he flung himself forward, just in time for the man stepping out of the car to catch him, holding him flush against his chest. Warm arms wrapped around him, the familiar feeling of soft yarn against his skin warming him. His face found its home buried in the crook of the other man's neck, the familiar sandalwood smile drifting through his senses, soothing him. Lan Zhan. He couldn't really put into words how much he loved it, standing there. How much he loved him, for just existing. For being there, no matter what. For loving him.

They stood like that for a while, neither quite speaking, but they spoke in volumes. Wei Ying could feel Lan Zhan's heartbeat thrumming under his fingers, heart hovering just slightly above where his own was when their chests collided with one another, and somehow that made him feel safe.

Before a choked ahem, rang out from the car, making Wei Wuxian detangle himself slightly from his soulmate, lifting his head up slightly to see a rather red-faced Lan Xichen staring back at them.

"As much as I'm glad for you two lovebirds, we have a meeting to get to," Lan Huan scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, but there was no mistaking the mischievous glint in his eyes, and that small smile. "I think it might be better for me to drive, don't you think?"

Ignoring the blazing heat behind his ears, Wangji nodded, still not letting go of Wei Ying. Quietly, he laced their fingers together, before pulling out of the embrace. Wei Ying nodded in agreement, running back up to the car to make sure it was locked up. Thank goodness, Wei Wuxian thought. Somehow he had remembered to lock up. Wangji glanced at him, a quiet question in his eyes. Are you okay? He mouthed, though there wasn't much need for that. Still, the small gesture made Wei Ying smile. He nodded softly, pulling him back to the car.

Once they were safely inside, Xichen took his place by the steering wheel. Oddly enough, Wei Wuxian found the quiet hum of the engine soothing for the first time in his life, ever since that incident. But maybe it was simply Lan Zhan, sitting next to him, being next to him, that was calming. Words weren't needed between them, after all. Not when their hearts were connected.

So they sat comfortably in the silence, watching the cityscape fading and reforming before their eyes, in odd blocks of white and grey, interspersed with rare blobs of purple and green. And to think just a few years ago this hadn't been a city...No matter how long it'd been, Wangji couldn't help but mourn the loss of the village he'd grown up in, but any traces of the old village, with its stilted wooden houses, had long since been replaced with prisons of concrete, the soft, stunning flowers replaced by harsh bitumen. Any traces of the place he'd loved had faded and yet just being here next to him, Wangji felt like he was home. He'd lost track of the countless romance novels he'd read, the same jumbled lines over and over again, all whispering the same. That home wasn't a place, but a person. Because wherever your heart went, love followed. Wangji had never really believed in it, not really, but that was before him.