Chapter Seventy-Seven

Taking the glass of orangeade from the tray, Ashton took a gulp. He could see at the corner of his eyes the intense look Lily was giving him.

"You skipped class?" She asked, sitting down in the sofa closer to Ashton.

"Nope. Class was cancelled." He turned to her and smiled. "I can see you don't like my presence in your house."

Lily said nothing.

"Maybe I should leave." He set the glass on the tray and got up from the sofa. "See you around."

"I didn't tell you to leave." She said after him as he made his way towards the door.

Ashton paused and sighed. "You didn't have to say anything. Your expressions are enough to tell me you don't need me around."

"What's your problem? Why do you have something to say about everything I do?" She asked. "What were you expecting? That I'd throw my hands around you and give you a kiss?"

Ashton stared at her. "No. At least you can smile. You're ignoring me and that hurts."

She scoffed. "Hurt?" She shook her head, "I'm surprised you can get hurt too. Then I think you can understand what I'm going through."

He walked to her and held his head. "Are we going to be like this forever? C'mon, I already said I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to apologize for. I can't blame you for my own foolishness. I should have known you were no better than the other guys."

Ashton scratched his nape and stifled a groan. What else did he have to say to get her to forgive him? It had been weeks and she still hated him.

"I guess I should leave you alone."

"Wait." Lily got up from the sofa and sighed.

Ashton looked at her as he waited to listen to what she had to say.

Lily took his hand and lifted her head to look at him. "I think you're right. We shouldn't be arguing like this all the time."

Ashton nodded.

"I'm sorry."

"No, I am sorry. I shouldn't have-"

"It's okay. Let's not talk about it again." She smiled at him.

Ashton smiled back. "Come here." He drew her to him and hugged her. "You've got no idea how much I miss seeing that sweet smile on your face."

"And I miss you too." She sighed and pulled away. "And also, my Mom and I can't thank your family enough. You've done so much and it's such a shame we can't repay you."

"C'mon, don't be like this. There's no need to repay us." He smiled.

She nodded as a tear trickled down her cheek. "Thank you."

Ashton's heart melted at the tear and he instinctively wiped it away with his thumb. "Don't cry. You know you look bad when you do."

She punched him on the chest and laughed.

Heaving a sigh of relief, Ashton was glad he had the old Lily back. He knew she wouldn't stay mad at him forever.

Lily sniffed and sighed. "So, what's up with you and Ellie?"

Ashton frowned. Why was she asking him that?

Lily raised her brows at him. "You've asked her out yet?"

He shook his head. "No."

"What are you waiting for?"

"Uhm... Lily?"

"Don't worry. I know you only see me as a sister and so there's no need holding on. You made that clear and I've accepted it."

Ashton wasn't convinced. "You-"

"I can't force you to love me, Ashton. It's all my fault for assuming we could be more than friends."

He sighed.

"You can go on and date whoever you want, whether it's Ellie or someone else. I'll be fine."

She wasn't serious, was she?

"How about we give us a chance?" He blurted out.

"What?" She asked, her brows furrowing.

He held her chin and nodded. "I'm ready to be with you."

"You're kidding, right?" She asked with a frown.

Ashton shook his head. "I'm serious."

"What about Ellie? I thought you liked her."

"No. It's you I want. I hope it's not too late to ask you to officially be my girlfriend?"

Lily batted her lids and took a step back. "You no longer see me as a sister? What happened to your feelings? Don't tell me you suddenly woke up catching feelings for me?"

"Not exactly, but I woke up determined to make us work." He frowned, "What? You don't love me anymore?"

She gulped nervously. "It's not like that. I'm just surprised-"

"Don't be. Just agree to be with me."

Lily licked her lips and sat down in the sofa.

Ashton stared at her as she considered his proposal. That'd be the best way to get over Ellie. He'd give a relationship with Lily a try. He'd be Lily's dream man. The exact epitome she wanted him to be.

Lily deserved love. She deserved happiness and he'd give her all that.

He squatted beside her, "What do you say?" He asked softly, caressing her cheek with his thumb.

Lily sighed and stared at him for a while before nodding. "Yes. I'll be your girlfriend."

Ashton smiled and pulled her into his arms, "You've got no idea how happy you just made me."

*****

Girlfriend?

He just asked her to be his girlfriend!

Could this be a dream? She pinched herself and realizing everything was real and she was actually hugging Ashton, she closed her eyes and smiled.

For so long she'd been waiting for this! Where did she sleep last night? Just when she'd thought she'd lost Ashton to Ellie, there he was professing his love to her.

Ellie was right. Ashton did love her and just needed time to realize it. She couldn't wait to share the good news with her friends.

But why did it seem so weird? It felt as if he'd rehearsed those lines to say to her. Shrugging off all the negative thoughts that were battling with her in her head, Lily rolled her eyes. She shouldn't be over thinking, she told herself.

Ashton was hers now, and no other thing mattered. She had to be happy.

Grinning from ear to ear, she rubbed his back. "I love you, Ashton." She said, loving the feel of those words on her lips.

He pulled away and kissed her forehead affectionately. And smiling at her, he got up. "I need to go and check up on something in the house. I'll be back."

Lily nodded. "Sure."

He smiled at her. "Bye."

She waved at him and watched him walk out of the house. Lily leaned into the sofa and squeaked happily.

I hope it's not too late to ask you to officially be my girlfriend?

Too late? She'd been waiting for him to change his mind!

Only God knew how much she'd tried to get him out of her mind every night, the number of times she'd imagined him going out with Ellie and those times when she thought her life couldn't get any miserable.

She got up and walked into the kitchen to check on her cupcakes. She was the happiest person on earth at that moment, all thanks to Ashton.