Chapter Twenty

Ellie Stevens entered Mr. Sarpong's office and her eyes immediately fell on the wooden desk. She noticed a bouquet of red roses in a pink vase beside a wrapped box right in the middle of the desk. Were those her gifts?

Her eyes roamed the office: It was a small office which had very few furniture; a two-in-one couch, two office chairs and a desk.

The office had beautiful artwork in frames displayed on the walls. She sniffed the sweet fragrance lingering the room and chuckled. Mr. Sarpong loved that particular scent and his office was as spotless as always.

Ellie moved from the door and approached the desk, biting softly on her lower lip as she walked with her eyes fixed on nothing but the desk. She stood in front of the desk and reached for the vase. They were fresh roses, and Ellie continued to bite on her lip in confusion as she took a flower and brought it closer to her nose.

“You love them, don’t you?”

A voice interrupted, startling Ellie. She looked over her shoulder and took in a deep breath. “They’re pretty, Mr. Sarpong.” She smiled.

Mr. Sarpong leaned his back against the door as he stood in the entryway. With a smile on his face, he nodded.  “That’s exactly what I said when I saw them.”

Ellie nodded. She looked at Mr. Sarpong whose smile quickly vanished from his face. He furrowed his brows and walked towards Ellie.

“Are you sure you don’t know who sent these?” He asked, standing beside Ellie.

“No. I'll check the parcel.” Ellie replied. She reached for the box and paused, contemplating whether it was right to open the gift in the office. She glanced at Mr. Sarpong who smiled at her.

“You need help with that?”

“Uh... No.” She switched her gaze back on the box and began unwrapping regardless how uncomfortable Mr. Sarpong’s presence was making her feel.

When Ellie had finally unwrapped the box, she stared at the box for a while before reaching to open it. Lifting the top of the box,

Ellie refused to look at Mr. Sarpong who was more eager than her to find out what was inside the box. With a deep breath, Ellie looked into the box and furrowed her brows. A picture frame? She fished out the white vintage frame and stared at the silhouette of a young woman in it.

“That’s... Interesting.” Mr. Sarpong said as if trying to find the right word for it.

Ellie looked at him. It was interesting alright. She looked further in the box and found another gift box and a note. It was a small, blue box wrapped with just a purple ribbon. She took it out and quickly unwrapped it to reveal a Pandora charm bracelet.

“It’s beautiful...” Mr. Sarpong said, enthused.

Ellie nodded. Now, she was damn sure who had sent her the gift. She took out the note and furrowed her brows. It had the same blue colour as the first note she’d received, with a slanted inscription which read; To the most beautiful girl with love...! 

There was no name beneath the inscription, but Ellie smiled.

“Michael.” She murmured. He was the only person she could think of.

“Michael?” Mr. Sarpong asked. “I thought you broke up. I mean you guys-”

Ellie looked at him. “Yes, we did.”

“I see.” He shrugged. “He was around with Paula a while ago, but he didn’t mention anything about the parcel. Do you think he’s trying to remain anonymous?”