Chapter Ten

Ellie walked briskly towards the door, trying hard to ignore Felicia and her persistent questions. It seemed she was not going to give up bugging her yet Ellie was no way going to answer her.

She didn’t want to talk about anything relating to Ashton and she’d made it clear to Felicia since last night. She didn’t want to be reminded how much she enjoyed kissing him again. How she yearned to be touched again, how she craved to be desired and how vulnerable she felt around him.

It shouldn’t feel good. The last thing she needed was a fling.

“We just came back from church, Felicia. Can’t we discuss something else?” She glanced over her shoulder before turning the knob and walking inside the room.

Felicia rolled her eyes. “You know that line is not going to stop me.” She said after Ellie and followed her inside the room. With a soft bang on the door, she tried to catch up with her. 

“You’re denying it, Ellie. You need to tell me the truth.” She continued.

Ellie let out a deep groan and rolled her eyes. “Leave me alone, Felicia.” She plopped down in the sofa and placed her purse beside her.

“C’mon, tell me what he was doing here yesterday. And by the look of things, I could tell there’s more to the platonic friendship you’re talking about.”  Felicia insisted.

Ellie watched as Felicia took off her heels and sat in the sofa beside her. “Felicia, I don’t know what’s with both you and John. Ashton and I are not even friends. He just came for his sneakers. That’s all.”

Felicia squinted her eyes and looked at Ellie suspiciously. “John said he slept over the last time he came around. I'm not going to buy that lie, Ellie.”

“And that’s your business. There’s no other answer than this.” Ellie leaned into the sofa and closed her eyes, hoping Felicia would quit annoying her. Exhausted and hungry from sitting six hours through church service, Ellie grunted and bit on her lip.

“Alright. There’s no point trying to get the truth from you, I’ll have to ask Ashton myself. I’m sure he wouldn’t lie.”

Ellie's eyes snapped open and glared at Felicia. “You wouldn’t dare!”

Felicia grinned. “Look at you, I knew there was something going on. Tell me yourself then.”

Ellie shook her head and sighed. An image of Ashton popped in her head and she smiled. The gorgeous face and beautiful body alone was enough to capture any girl’s heart. He was caring and had a sweet personality, which was something Lily mostly talked about him. “He seems like a nice guy.” Her expression softened as she looked at Felicia.

“Of course, he is! He’s hot and very charming.” Felicia nodded and let out a dramatic sigh. “Who wouldn’t crush on him?”

“But I don’t think I want a relationship with him. I told him I wasn’t ready.”

Felicia frowned. “Why would you say that?”

“C'mon, Felicia. Have you forgotten my bad luck with guys? None of them stays. The last thing I want is another heartbreak.” She exhaled sadly.

“I understand.” Felicia took Ellie’s hand. “But you shouldn’t think like this. Ashton seems like a good guy, he might be different.”

“That was what you said when I met Michael. There’s no point in hoping things would change, Felicia. I just have to bid goodbye to the idea of being in a relationship all over again. It’s better if I stay alone.”

“No. Give Ashton a chance. Try him.” Felicia squeezed on Ellie’s hand softly.

Ellie shook her head.

“There’s no need to.” She drew away her hand and got up from the sofa. “I’ll make us something quick to eat. I’m starving!”

“Ellie...” Felicia called after her as she made her way into the kitchen.

She turned to look at her. “Don’t ask me another question about it again, Felicia. The answer is no.” She said firmly and walked into the kitchen, hearing Felicia sigh in disappointment.

Ellie entered the kitchen and took two packets of noodles from the cabinet and stood by the sink. She looked out of the window and sighed. It was hard to get over Michael, something she was battling each day by reminding herself he’d left and would never come back. She’d lost him, just like her other three relationships and there couldn’t be anyone as pathetic as her.

Ellie sighed again, feeling tears welling up in her eyes. She lifted her head and stared at the ceiling not wanting the tears to fall down her cheeks.

There was no need to cry and feel pity for herself. Love was not meant for her and maybe she didn’t deserve the fairy-tale romance she’d always craved for. She was meant to be unloved and lonely. And even though it sucked, the sooner she accepted that fact, the better it would be not to expect too much.