Chapter Fifty-Four

"I still don't think it was necessary to escort Mom and I. I don't want to bother you." Lily said as soon as Ashton appeared at the kitchen doorway. She was preparing pepper soup for her mother.

Stopping in his tracks, Ashton leaned against the door and folded his arms across his chest. "Since when did asking for my help became a bother?"

She stared back at him. "I don't know." She looked into the saucepan and stirred the soup. "You can still leave. I'm glad you brought us home from the hospital."

Ashton looked at her with a frown.

"I'll tell Mom you have things to take care of."

Now that was sarcastic. Ashton shook his head and moved from the door. Digging his hands in the side pockets of his khaki trousers, he slowly approached her.

"Is there something you want to say to me?" He asked, waiting for her to lift her head and look at him.

She didn't. "Like what?"

"You know what I'm talking about." He said. "You call tell me all the things you've bottled up inside you. All those nasty stuff, I'm ready to hear them."

She finally looked at him. "What makes you think I want to say that?"

He stopped beside her. "It's written all over your face, Lillian. You know you're a bad liar, so don't sweat it."

She sighed. "Why are you making it so difficult for me, Ash? You've told me what I need to hear and I'm moving on. What's your problem!"

"Moving on? Then why are you angry? Why are you ignoring me?"

"Because that's the only way to get you the f*ck out of my head!" She yelled.

He stepped back at her tone with a flinch.

She sighed. "Just leave me alone. Is that too much to ask?"

"I can't." He got closer. "I've already apologized to you."

"And you think that's enough?"

"OMG..." He groaned, shoving his fingers in his hair out of frustration. What more did he have to do?

She shook her head and focused on her soup.

"Is everything alright here?"

They turned to the door and found Mrs. Asenso standing there in a long, blue dress watching them. She had her hands on her waist, a confused look on her face.

"Of course. Everything's fine." Lily smiled. "And your soup is ready."

"Oh okay." Mrs. Asenso smiled back.

"You can go back to the hall. I don't want you to stress yourself." She turned off the stove and wiped her hands in a pink napkin. "Serwaa will be here soon. She's going to take care of you when I leave for school."

She furrowed her brows. "When did you call her?"

"This morning." Lily walked to the cabinets and Ashton watched her as she stretched her hands for a bowl.

He watched as she struggled to reach the plate and a faint smile appeared at the corners of his lips. Would she quit trying and ask him for help?

When he was convinced she was no way going to ask of his help, Ashton moved from the counter and walked towards her.

Standing closely behind Lily, Ashton reached his hand towards the bowl and pulled it out. "Here, easy."

Lily looked at him softly and he couldn't help but smile, "All you had to do was to ask for help, Lillian."

"Thank you." She whispered and took the plate from him.

Ashton stepped aside, "You're welcome."

"If you're done playing Romeo and Juliet in my kitchen kindly serve me my soup." Mrs. Asenso said, raising her brows at Lily from the doorway.

Ashton touched his nape. For a moment he'd forgotten Mrs. Asenso was still in the kitchen. Sighing, he shook his head and fished out his cellphone from his back pocket when it started to ring.

He frowned at the caller ID before answering the call. "Jackie?"

"Good evening, Ashton. It's been a while." Her soft voice replied. It was Celine Mensah's best friend slash roommate.

Ashton nodded. "Yeah. You're good?"

"Yes. Thanks for asking." She sighed. "There's something I really need to tell you. Do you mind meeting me at Leo's?"

He frowned. "What's up?"

"Are you coming? It's about Celine. This could be the answer to all they questions we've asked when she was alive." She sounded alarmed.

Ashton met Lily peering at him over the counter as she set the bowl of soup on a tray.

"Alright. I'll be there soon." He replied.

Jackie sighed. "Thank you. I'll be waiting."

He hang up and shoved the phone back in his pocket. He looked at Lily who was approaching the door with the tray.

"You can go. No need to ask for permission." She said and without glancing at him, she walked out of the kitchen.

Ashton closed his gaped mouth and sighed. He hurriedly followed Lily out of the kitchen. He had to find out what was so alarming that Jackie had to show him.

Don't forget to vote, comment and share!!!