Chapter Two

“I didn’t hesitate to give it back to her a piece of her own shit. Girl, I was so angry!”

Ellie smiled and looked at John; her friend and next door neighbour as he explained to her how his day had been.
It was a routine normally he did and Ellie loved to listen to him since he always cracked her up in the process.

John was an amazing person with a kind heart and a sweet personality, something a lot of people refused to see. He was only judged and insulted, much to Ellie's displease, only because he acted and had mannerisms quite similar to a girl. 

“The next time anyone calls me a gay, I’m going to ruin their face!” He fumed,  grabbing his canned coke from the coffee table and taking a sip.

Ellie laughed. “It's alright, John. I know you can’t even hurt a fly.”

He set the can back on the table and sighed. "That's the saddest part of it."  He pouted and took Ellie's hand. “How’re you feeling?”

Ellie’s face fell. She hang her head and sighed. “I’m okay.”

“I know you’re not, Ellie.” He lifted he head and looked at her. “Look at you.” He gestured at the tears welling up in her eyes.

“John...” she pursed her lips and lifted her head to look at the ceiling, her way of keeping the tears from falling.

“That Michael guy is a jerk and you shouldn’t cry over him.” John squeezed her hand softly.

“I’m not crying, John. I told you I’m fine.” She looked at him and forced a smile.

“Here, take a sip.” He lifted the can and held it towards her.

Ellie chuckled. “Thanks, but you can finish it up yourself.”

John shrugged and drew the can to his mouth. “If you say so.”

Ellie nodded. She went still and furrowed her brows when she heard a knock on the door.

“Are you expecting someone?” John asked.

Ellie slowly shook her head. “Felicia was supposed to come around but she called to cancel. She said, she’s going to busy tonight.”

“Yeah, right. When will that girl ever be available?” John rolled his eyes. He frowned and looked at Ellie,“If it’s not Felicia then who’s here?”

Ellie shrugged.

John glanced at his wrist watch. “It's 8pm..." A wide smile spread across his face and he tapped Ellie. "Do you think it’s Michael?”

Ellie’s heart slammed against her chest. What if it was Michael? Was he here to reveal he was only pranking her? And maybe apologize? She hoped so. With her stomach churning and body shaking, Ellie got up from the sofa. “I'll go and check.”

John nodded, his eyes fixed at the door as Ellie walked towards it.

She held her breath, trying so hard to hide the excitement building inside her. With her hand on the doorknob, she bit her lip and slowly opened the door.

Her eyes lifted to the man at the door and disappointment quickly replaced her joy. It wasn’t Michael at the door. It was... Ashton Anderson. The guy she’d met at Sheryl’s birthday party last semester. She could remember how the girls clung to him at the party, almost getting too disgusting to watch.

Ellie was surprised. What was he doing at her door?

“Hello, Ellie.” He said with a warm smile.

Her eyes fell on the pizza box he held which had a big bowl on top of it, wrapped in a white rubber bag. She furrowed her brows and looked at him. “Hi, Ashton. I’m sorry, but Lily's not around.”