Chapter Twenty-Five

Ashton stopped in front of the door with his hand hanging in a knocking position. He leaned his ear towards the door to make he sure he indeed heard that stifled sound.

His heart ached when he heard the sobs and sniffs again. What was happening in there? He held his breath and wondered whether to enter or wait.

When the sobs soon ceased, Ashton exhaled and gently knocked on the door.

“Who’s there? Come in.”

He heard Lily’s strained voice and turned the knob. He entered the room and his eyes fell on Lily seated beside her mother who laid on the bed.

Lily’s hands flew to her face to wipe her tears. She looked away and sniffed. “You’re here.”

Ashton clenched his hands and walked towards the bed.

“Yes, I am.” He glanced at the bed and stared at Mrs. Asenso’s sleepy face.

“You’re crying whiles your mum is asleep, Lily. That’s not good, how do you expect her to react if she wakes up and sees you like this?”

Lily sniffed. “Who said I was crying?” She held unto her mother’s hand.

Ashton shook his head and pulled the chair by the window closer to the bed and sat down. “You know you suck at lies. I don’t know why you keep on trying.”

“She might need a surgery if her condition doesn’t improve, Ashton. And where are we going to get that kind of money for that?” Lily looked at him, tears glistening in her eyes.

Ashton sighed and took her hand. Giving it a gentle squeeze, he looked at her. “Everything will be fine. I told you to trust me.”

“But...” She began to say but paused and bit on her lip, a tear rolling freely down her cheek. “Alright.” She nodded and glanced at her mother. “I’m grateful to your father for getting us a lawyer. That’s very kind of him.”

“C'mon. You know we can’t sit around and watch those evil people try and take advantage of your vulnerability.” Ashton got up from the chair, still holding Lily’s hand. He urged her from the bed and pulled her into her arms. “You need to calm down.”

Lily nodded and held tightly unto him. “Thank you.” She sighed.

Ashton held unto her for a while until she pulled away.

“Let’s go. It’s getting late.” She said and turned to kiss Martha on the forehead. “Good night, Mom.”

Ashton gave her a warm smile and walked her out of the room. When they finally got a cab, he helped Lily into the backseat and sat beside her. “Let’s get something to eat, I’m sure you’re hungry.”

Lily smiled and nodded. “I am.”

The driver drove them to a restaurant and they immediately ordered something to eat.

“I know what a good appetite you have so don’t even think of picking on your food.” Ashton grimly said as he watched Lily twirl her fork in the plate of rice.

She looked at him and smiled. “Sure. I’ll try not to.”

“Good girl.” He smiled at her. Satisfied with her now eating properly, his eyes darted around the room and frowned when a figure caught his eye. Celine?

His eyes refused to look nowhere than Elorm's ex-girlfriend as she consistently looked over her shoulder till she sat down by a table in the middle of the restaurant.

She looked distraught and disheveled,  making him wonder if she was alright. The perfectly fit young woman was a lot thinner in the green floral dress and her hair was tousled. She looked like she’d had a rough day and maybe a whole lot of other things going on with her.

“What?” Lily asked.

Ashton looked at her and shook his head. “Nothing. I’m just surprised...” he looked back at Celine.

Lily glanced the direction of his gaze and she frowned. “Who’s that?”

“That’s Elorm’s ex. She doesn’t look very fine to me.” He answered.

“You can ask her what’s wrong then. She looks upset.” Lily urged.

Ashton stared at Celine for a while and noticed her attention was on the entrance. Was she waiting for someone?

He got up from his seat and walked towards her. Stopping by her table, he smiled and looked at her. “Celine!”

She gasped and turned to him.

With a look of fear in his eyes, she clenched her fists and smiled nervously. “A...Ashton.”

Ashton continued to smile. Why did she look so scared?

“You’re waiting for someone?” he glanced at the entrance.

“Uhh...” She looked at him. “Yes. My boyfriend. He’ll be here soon.”

Ashton nodded. “You look troubled, are you okay?”

She pursed her lips and looked away. “Is it that obvious?”

He nodded. “Yes.”

“There’s this...” She began and turned to look at him. “There’s someone stalking me... He wants to hurt me...” She muttered.

Ashton frowned. “What?”

“Yes. I know you won’t believe me. Andy doesn’t either.” She sighed. “He thinks I’m going crazy.”

“Andy?” Ashton asked, but before she could answer his question, she got up from her chair with a worried look.

“He’s here.” She said, her eyes glued to the entrance.

Ashton turned to the entrance and lifted his brows at the tall and lanky man walking towards them. “Andy?” He asked.

“Yes. My boyfriend.” Replied Celine.

Andy shot Ashton a glare before looking at Celine. “I guess you know why I’m here?” He asked her.

“Tell me, Andy. You think I need to see a psychiatrist?” She looked at him with a frown. “When are you going to believe me that he wants to hurt me!”

“Maybe you really need to seek some mental care, Celine, but as for me, I can’t cope with this nonsense anymore!” Andy groaned.

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” She frowned.

“Exactly how you understand. I’m quitting this if you won’t stop your silly games.” He hissed.

“Silly games? You think I’m playing pranks?”

“Calm down, Guys.” Ashton lifted his hand to stop them. “I think you should listen to her, Andy.”

Andy scoffed. “There’s nothing to listen to. She’s crazy.” He shook his head and looked at Celine. “I’m leaving.”

“Andrew!” She called after him as he made his way to the door.

Ashton sighed and touched Celine’s shoulder. “Relax. I’m sure he’ll come around.”

She shook her head. “No. He won’t. Just like the others, he won’t ever come back.” She grabbed her phone from the table. “I need to go. I should have known it’d end up like this.”

Ashton sighed as Celine walked out of the restaurant. He walked back to his table where Lily was waiting for him.

“What’s wrong with her?” She asked.

“I have no idea.” He replied. “If you’re done here, can we go?”

She nodded and grabbed her purse.

He gestured her to take the lead and followed her after paying their bill.