Chapter Thirty-Two

Walking down the entry way, Ellie glanced at her wrist and bit her lip. With her eyes scanning the beautiful decorations as she approached the huge swimming pool, Ellie groaned.

Everything looked so perfect she couldn't get her eyes off the fancy decorations. She needed that, something to get her mind off her family issues.

Squinting her eyes at Paula seated comfortably in a chair by the pool. She had a dark, lanky man standing beside her as she gestured her hand at something, her legs crossed.

Classic Paula. She had the flair for bossing people around. Ellie rolled her eyes. She walked towards her and stopped when she got closer.

"So, Rick, you can get to work now. Change those balloons, I don't like the colours!" Paula gestured at the deflated balloons on the tray beside her.

"Sure." Rick nodded and carried the away.

"Ellie!" Paula frowned and looked up at her. "You're late." She hissed.

Ellie nodded. "Yes. I was somewhere."

Paula furrowed her brows, "You were supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago. Where were you?"

"You seriously think I'm going to answer that?" Ellie lifted her chin.

"Whatever. You can keep it to yourself." Paula got up from the chair, "Your job is to-"

"I know what I'm supposed to do, Paula." Ellie cut in. "You can go back bossing them around." With that, she started to the locker rooms to check on the towels, pool floats and accessories. When she saw that everything was set, she returned to the pool side.

Ellie froze in her tracks with her eyes bulging out of their sockets at the sight of Michael hugging Paula at the spot where she left her.

When did he get here? And what was he doing here! Ellie pursed her lips, glaring at Michael until he finally noticed her presence.

He pulled away from Paula which made Paula turn to Ellie's direction.

Not wanting him to notice how riled up she was getting, Ellie decided to walk on by avoiding his presence.

Walking by the pool and trying to keep her gaze down, Ellie held her breath. She hated to walk towards them and ask Paula if she'd been able to contact DJ Swift.

"Look at all these muscles, Michael. I love it when you wrap them around me."

Hearing Paula's sultry comment, Ellie lifted her head to look at them. With a twinge in her heart, she watched as Paula caress Michael's biceps.

"B*tch!" Ellie cursed under her breath. And just when she thought she couldn't look away, her left leg twisted, sending her straight into the pool with a loud splash.

Michael and Paula immediately glanced at her.

Ellie brushed her hands over her wet face when she swimed to the surface and frowned at the amused look on Paula's face. "Great!" She grumbled and looked at her pathetic self soaked in the pool.

"Ellie, are you okay?" Michael rushed towards the pool, stopping at the edge to look at Ellie.

Ellie sighed. Embarrassed, she lifted her eyes slowly to look at him. "Yes, I'm fine."

Michael furrowed his brows. "Are you sure?"

Ellie bit on her lip. She wasn't fine, her ankle was throbbing painfully.

"Give me your hand." He stretched his hand towards her.

Vulnerable and with no choice, she swam closer and grabbed his hand.

Michael gently helped her out of the water and when he noticed her limping, he scooped her into his arm.

"Michael..." She protested, but was ignored.

"You're hurt." He said and started to walk towards the locker room.

Ellie held tightly unto his neck as he carried her like she weighed nothing. Leaning her head against his broad chest, she glanced up at him.

It had been long since she felt those strong arms around her like that. So long, she'd almost forgotten how her body reacted to his nearness. Ellie smiled, a whiff of his cologne filling her nostrils. She closed her eyes as he took her into the locker room.

Michael set her carefully on a bench and gave a reassuring nod. "You're okay?"

Ellie nodded. She was okay knowing he still cared about her.

He reached for a towel and started to dry her hair. "You should be careful next time, Ellie. It's not nice getting hurt at your age."

Hurt? Did that include him making her heart bleed? He hurt her by breaking up with her.

"Sure." She said, "I can dry myself up." She reached for the towel.

"Let me help you." He resisted.

Sighing, she allowed him to wipe her face and down her neck. When he reached her chest, he paused and stared at her.

Ellie's breath quickened. She knew that look so well and it made her body tingle.

Michael looked away. "I'm sure you can continue with the rest." He tossed her the towel.

"Yeah." She nodded and looked at him as he turned his focus towards the door.

Ellie smiled. What was he trying to avoid? It wasn't as if he hadn't seen and touched her boobs.

The door burst open and Paula entered, her face pale and worried. "Is she alright?"

Ellie stared at her, wondering if she was indeed showing genuine concern for her.

"She sprained her ankle." Replied Michael.

"C'mon, Ellie. You're not a baby to slip and fall. Where was your focus?"

Ellie could hear the amusement in her voice. She sighed and decided not to reply her.

"I think she needs to get some rest." Michael said, "I'll take her to her hostel."

Ellie stunned, stared at Michael. She was about to object when Paula cut in.

"I'm coming with you."

Ellie rolled her eyes. Of course she would! She sneered.