Chapter Seventy-Three

Nothing could compare to the joy that filled his heart after receiving Ellie's call. He'd doubted Ellie would agree to his date suggestion, but the phone call had proved him wrong.

Waiting in a cab in front of Redeemed Hostel, he checked his watch for the time. She was ten minutes late, but he didn't mind. She could take all the time in the world if she wanted because he was willing to wait for her.

When he saw a figure emerge from the entrance of the hostel building, Ashton Straightened in his seat and stared intently. His eyes almost popped out of their sockets at the sight of Ellie dressed gorgeously in a navy green, v-neck bodycon. The dress tucked against her body, accentuating her curves in a way his eyes stubbornly refused to look away.

He got down from the car and approached her, making sure his eyes stayed on her face and nowhere else. He didn't want to her to see him as a pervert.

"Hey, you look stunning!" He complimented.

Ellie's eyes shone, "Thank you." She smiled sheepishly, "Sorry for keeping you waiting. I was-"

"It's alright." He interrupted. "Shall we?" He gestured at the car and extended his hand towards her. 

Ellie nodded and took his hand. He walked her to the car and they sat down at the back seat.

The cab driver started the engine and drove off, following Ashton's instructions.

Soon arriving at their destination, Ashton helped Ellie out of the car.

"Wow, I've never been here. What's this place?" She asked, her eyes glued to the building they were standing under.

"It's a marine aquarium, owned by the Baidoo's." Ashton answered.

"Baidoo?" She furrowed her brows, "Do you mean Harris' family?"

Ashton shrugged. "Yeah, yeah. One of his dad's companies."

Ellie smiled. "Wow, I see."

"Let's go inside." He slipped his hands into Ellie's and strode towards the entrance.

     *****

The warmth of Ashton's hand clasped around hers was enough to send Ellie's heart on a marathon. She didn't want to think about it, but having him close like this all the time wouldn't be a bad idea.

Although she'd tried as much as possible to convince herself this was going to be just a platonic date, she couldn't help herself from wishing it was more.

They were ushured into the building whiles a tourist's guide took them around to see the aquarium along side other couples.

It was such a great sight and Ellie was deeply hooked by the different marine species.

"They're beautiful, huh?"

Hearing Ashton's husky voice behind her ear sent her blood rippling. She turned to look at him and smiled. "They're lovely."

He nodded and glanced at his watch. "There's a restaurant down the street, let's go."

Her face fell. So soon? Forcing a smile, she nodded. "Sure."

She followed him out of the marine museum and standing by the side walk, Ashton's phone rang.

"Excuse me."

Ellie nodded and watched him distance himself with the call. She sighed, staring at his back as he made the call.

"Going somewhere, Pretty?" A rough voice said and Ellie turned to see a group of four guys standing beside her. They looked like street guys and the smirks on their faces was beginning to freak her out.

She looked away, planning on not answering them until the guy who'd asked her touched her arm.

With a fierce look, she snapped. "What do you want?"

"Ohh... Ms. Fiesty!" The guy laughed, nudging his friends who laughed with him. "I was just asking a question. I've watched you over there whiles you stood here all by yourself."

"That's not your problem." She looked away and frowned. Why was Ashton keeping so long on the call?

"Hop on my baby right there and I'll take you wherever you're going." The guy said, gesturing at a motorcycle parked a distant away from them.

"No, thanks." Ellie replied. When she saw Ashton turned, probably done with his call, she heaved a sigh of relief.

Ashton walked towards her, shoving his phone inside his back pocket.

"What's going on here?" He asked, glaring at the boys.

"Just asking this lady if she needs a ride, looks like she's not interested or just playing hard to get." The guy replied with a chuckle.

Ellie met Ashton's eyes and shrugged. "Can we go now?"

"That's my girlfriend and like you said, she's not interested." Ashton said to them, grabbed Ellie's hand and took her away from the guys.

When he stopped a cab and they sat in, Ellie couldn't stop staring at Ashton.

Girlfriend? Since when?

As if he'd read her mind, he turned to look at her and said, "I'm sorry if I said anything that made you uncomfortable. I had to do that to keep those guys away from you."

Uncomfortable? Not at all!

Yet she couldn't tell him she'd loved the sound of that. A lot.

"It's okay. I understand." She said and looked away to her side of the window.

They soon arrived at the restaurant and they hopped down. Ashton took her inside and they found a seat at the center of the room.

Ellie's eyes scanned the beautiful and certainly expensive indoor decor and smiled. She'd never known this restaurant existed in Kumasi, it was breathing-taking!

How much was Ashton spending on taking her to expensive places?

She sat there as Ashton ordered their meal. Everything felt like a dream and she didn't want to wake up. Not when it felt so good.

"Ashton...?" She began, and when she got him to look at her she sighed. "Thank you so much for this. I'm touched at the lengths you've gone just to help me relax."

"You don't need to thank me for anything, Ellie. I'm glad you're better now." Ashton smiled and reached over to touch her hand.

Ellie nodded. She stared at him as they quietly gobbled up their meal.