Chapter Twenty-Two

Ellie caressed the fancy Pandora charm bracelet on her wrist. It was beautiful,  just like the one Michael bought for her earlier. She lifted her head and stared at her reflection in the mirror. She smiled, loving how plump her lips looked with the brick red matte lipstick. Nervous and excited at the same time, Ellie was ready for her lunch with her ex-boyfriend.

She tucked on her white blouse and blue skinny jeans and bit on her lip.

“Are you sure about this, Ellie?”

Ellie turned to Lily who laid on her bed staring at her. “And why not, Lily?”

“I can’t believe you’re overly excited about this ‘date'. I don’t trust this Michael guy.” Lily sat up on the bed and looked at Ellie with a concerned expression, her brows furrowing.

Ellie nodded. “I understand. I look stupid, right? It’s amazing how naive I am by agreeing to meet him.”

Lily groaned. “Not like that.” She shook her head and slipped down from the bed and started walking towards Ellie.

“Michael broke up with you. He said there was no ‘chemistry’. How come there’s a sudden chemistry, Ellie?”

Ellie chuckled. “Calm down. That’s why I’m meeting him. I need to understand why he’s interested.”

“You...” Lily took her hand and sighed. “You still love him, don’t you?”

Ellie sighed. “I don’t know. But somehow I want an explanation for why he’s been sweet after ending our relationship.”

“And then what? You’ll go back to him?” Lily lifted her chin as she frowned at Ellie.

Ellie drew her hand away and grabbed her purse. “I'll be on my way. See you later.”

“You’re going to ignore the question?” She called after Ellie who strode to the door.

Ellie shut the door behind her and stood there quietly for a while. With a sigh, she leaned against the door and bit her lip. Why was she still interested in whatever Michael had to say? Was it necessary? Ellie moved from the door and sighed again.

She didn’t know the answer to those questions. What she knew was how curious she wanted to know what Michael had to say to her.

She strode to the stairs as she checked her time. She had to be at the cafeteria within ten minutes and she didn’t want to be late. Lucky to get a cab as soon as she stepped out of the hostel, she was immediately drove to the cafeteria.

Ellie hopped down from the cab and walked towards the cafeteria. Entering through the automated door, Ellie’s eyes scanned around for Michael. With a frown on her face, she noticed he wasn’t around. She glanced at her wrist watch and was three minutes early; Maybe Michael was on his way. She spotted an empty table at the center and walked to it.

Waiting for about fifteen minutes and Michael wasn’t showing up, Ellie tapped her fingers on the table as she constantly glanced at the entrance of the cafeteria. She took out her phone from her purse and noticed a message from Michael.

I'll be there soon, Ellie. Sorry for keeping you waiting. You can go ahead and order for yourself!

Ellie sighed and placed the phone on the table. She wanted to ask what was delaying him but she restrained herself. He’d assured her he’d be there soon. She gestured a waiter to her table and ordered for a lemonade. Taking a sip and scrolling through her phone with her earpiece plunged in her ears, Ellie sensed a figure standing beside her and tensed up. Michael? She took in a deep breath and slowly lifted her head, making sure to fix a sweet smile on her face.