Chapter Seventy-Six

"He's signed them. I can't believe he scribbled down his signature so easily it was as if he'd been waiting for this moment!" Samantha hissed on the phone.

Ellie shut her eyes and took in a deep breath. She wasn't surprised. Naomi had made it clear her dad had had enough of their marriage, but Ellie wasn't going to tell her Mom that.

She'd kept Naomi's impromptu visit to herself because if her mother should find out she'd met with her, she'd go bananas.

"But don't worry. We're better off without him." Samantha went on.

Ellie sighed. She knew those words weren't for her. Her mother was saying them to convince herself and Ellie wished she was around to give her a hug.

She knew how much her mother loved her father and had given out her all to save her marriage but to no avail. Some relationships needn't to be fixed, it was better to let go.

When Ellie heard a sniff on the other end of the call, she frowned. "I hope you're not crying?"

"Me? No, why would I?"

Liar! Ellie rolled her eyes.

"I just can't believe a whole 21 years of marriage has gone down the drain. All the love, the sacrifices, the dreams, the..." Her voice trailed, muffling by an outburst.

Pain flashed through her heart and her throat tightened as she listened to her Mom who never showed her emotions cry on the phone. This divorce must have really hurt her a lot.

"Did I do something bad? How could he do this to me?" Samantha asked.

Ellie knew that was a rhetoric question and so she needed not to answer her. Clenching her fists tightly, Ellie wished she could punch Naomi in the face for destroying the happy family she once had.

Some women were shameless. How could she think it was cool to seduce a married man?

"We agreed that he can still see you, but with my permission. I know I can't take away his right as your father from him, but he's not going to enjoy that right as he used to. Unless, you still want him around." Samantha said.

"Whatever that's comfortable with you is fine with me too. Since he abandoned us for Naomi, I don't think I can see him as a father anymore."

"Thanks, Ellie." Samantha sighed.

"Promise me you're going to quit crying. He doesn't deserve those tears."

"You're right." She sighed again.

"I think you need to take a break from work. That's only if you're finding it hard to focus."

"I'll be fine. Right now, boosting my sales is the most important thing."

"The most important?"

"Oh C'mon, you come first and work is second." Samantha laughed.

Ellie chuckled. "That's how it's supposed to be."

"Of course." She laughed again. "So, when is vacation?"

"Uhmm... Exams begins next week, so let's say two weeks more and I'll be home."

"Oh, I can't wait to see you!"

"Me too. I wish we could vacate today so I'll come home to you. I don't like the fact that you're going through this hard time all alone." Ellie frowned.

"Don't worry. I'll be fine. Just study for the exam, I don't want you to slack this semester because of that so-called father."

"Yes, Mother." Ellie smiled.