Chapter Twenty-Seven

"I'm fine, really." Lily said, giving Ellie a grim look and a crooked smile. "There's nothing to worry about."

Fixing her messy hair by brushing with her hands and tying it into a ponytail, she plopped down in the sofa and leaned her head against the edge roll.

Slightly exasperated, Ellie held her waist with a frown. She bit on her lip and walked towards Lily who had her head facing the ceiling, her usual way of avoiding her.

"I'm not buying that, Lily. Since when did you get so stubborn?"

Lily looked at her and shrugged. "What makes you think I'm hiding something from you?"

"Everything. You hardly talk to me. You keep things to yourself. Why didn't you tell me you had a doctor's appointment?" Still holding her waist, Ellie lifted her chin and stared intently at Lily.

"Well... I was supposed to go with Ashton." Lily replied with indifference. "Is something wrong with that?"

Ellie sighed. "No, there's nothing wrong with that." She sat on the armrest and held Lily's hand. "But I feel like you're drawing far away from me. I hope I don't sound very clingy?" She flashed her teeth sheepishly.

Lily chuckled. "Silly." She reached her idle hand to cup the side of Ellie's face. "I'm sorry if it looks like I'm distant. I just don't want to bore you with my family problems, Ellie. I can handle them, and I'm doing just fine."

"You don't look fine, Liar. Just look at you; you hardly eat, you cry yourself to sleep... C'mon, I know everything!"

"You do?" Lily sniffed. She brushed her fingers under her eyes and smiled. "I'll be fine."

"I hope so." Ellie smiled back and pulled Lily into her arms. "I'm always here to cheer you up, always."

Lily nodded. "I know."

A loud clap startled them and they abruptly pulled away, turning their heads to the kitchen doorway.

"That's alright. Food is ready!" John entered from the kitchen, standing akimbo at the doorway and clapping his hands annoyingly. He paused and a frown crept his face, "You look messy, Lily!"

"You should say that again." Ellie groaned as she glanced at Lily.

Crouched down in the sofa in a blue long sleeved pyjamas, Lily pouted. "You should learn to shut up, John. Get me my food, I'm hungry."

John brushed his hands on the white apron which tucked tightly around his slender waist and sighed, "You need a makeover, honey." He shook his head and turned away, disappearing into the kitchen.

"So, what's up with Michael?" Lily asked, turning to look at Ellie.

"Nothing. He stood me up." Ellie cringed at the thought of waiting for Michael and him not showing up. "There was no need getting too excited. He just..." She sighed and shook her head, "Never mind."

"It's okay." Lily cheered.

"Sure." Ellie nodded. "I'll have to leave soon. I need to share these flyers." She pointed at the pile of flyers on the coffee table.

Lily leaned forward and took one. "Funky Fest '19; Pool Party!!!" She read out the inscription with a smile. "DJ Swift!"

"Yes, please. This Saturday!" Ellie grinned.

"Now, I'll need to shop for a swimsuit." John said, entering with a tray of food.

"That's a good idea. And we're getting you a girlfriend, John. You need one." Lily giggled.