Chapter Thirty-Nine

Thud! The sound of the alarm clock hitting the woolen carpet caused Ashton's eyes to quickly open to see the mess his clumsy hand had caused.

With an exasperated sigh, he shook his head and drew his hand away from the drawer. He'd hoped he could shut the damn clock with his eyes still closed. But now what?

"Finally, something has woken you up from your slumber."

The voice startled Ashton when he'd turned to face the wall, hoping to drift back to sleep. That was the only way to escape the worries of the day, but he turned back instead and his eyes travelled to Elorm standing by the door leading to the washroom, staring at him with a displeased look.

"What do you need me awake for?" Ashton groaned, rubbing his eyes.

"Because that phone on the drawer had been ringing for hours. How could you even sleep through that!" Elorm folded his arms and gestured with his chin towards the drawers at the phone.

Massaging his temple, Ashton reached for the phone. He brought the machine parallel to his face and turned on the screen. A deep frown crept his sleepy face seeing three missed calls and a message from Lily.

"Good morning, Ashton. How was your night? Don't forget you'll be escorting me to check up on Mom at the hospital today!"

He furrowed his brows after reading the text message. It had skipped his mind about escorting her to the hospital. And now that he was reminded, he wasn't sure he wanted to go. Not with the guilt of their moment in the locker room creeping inside his head; Something which he'd thought oversleeping would solve.

Flashes of him smooching and twisting her firm breasts made him groan. The feeling of been buried deep in her and pounding hard inside of her like his life depended on it had his dick twinge in response. He was hard and his body could recall all the goodness he'd felt with none other than Lillian Asenso-Agyemang, his best friend!

"The way you're licking your lips is getting me suspicious the kind of thing you're reading on your phone, Lover boy!" Elorm smirked, moving away from the door and towards Ashton.

Ashton dropped the phone on his bed and looked at Elorm. "Where were you last night?"

Elorm's smile suddenly disappeared.

"Your phone was off by the time I left the party and you weren't here either." Ashton added.

Elorm sat on the bed and with a sigh, he hang his head. "I spent the night on the rooftop, just counting the stars."

There was no sarcasm in his voice and Ashton knew he was telling the truth. He pursed his lips at the gloomy face of Elorm and sighed.

This was not the first time he'd spent the night on the rooftop of their hostel. Ashton should've figured he was there.  It was Elorm's favorite place, his personal hideout. It was almost unnoticeable to other tenants but it was where Elorm found solace in shutting off the world in that peaceful, lonely place.

He'd been there when Celine had ended their relationship, and it should be obvious he'd be there after her horrible demise.

Who could've thought beneath that perfectly guarded ego of his lied a softhearted gentleman!

"I'm really sorry about Celine." Ashton patted his back softly.

Elorm nodded. "I'll be fine." He now wore a straight face, as if trying to hide his vulnerability.

"It's such a shame none of us could tell what was really troubling her." Ashton sighed.

Elorm nodded. "It must have been serious for her to take her own life. And it creeps me out each time I think about it."