Chapter Thirteen

“Is there something which doesn’t suit you? You look good in everything!” Elorm complimented as they took a seat by a table right in the middle of the restaurant.

Ellie grinned, “You’re not going to succeed in making me blush, Elorm. Thanks, anyways.” She’d worn a purple bodycon with her afro hair tucked neatly in a ponytail.

It was a casual wear, but Elorm seemed to always compliment on everything she wore, even when she looked messy. It was something she secretly loved about him; he always made her feel comfortable. She was never tempted to try and please him other than be herself around him.

He smiled. “You’re welcome.” He walked to his seat after pulling a chair for Ellie to sit.

He motioned a waiter to their table to take their order. After placing their order, they waited patiently for their meal.

“So what’s up with you and Celine?” Ellie asked.

She noticed a frown on his face immediately the question had left her mouth and she pursed her lips. She shouldn’t have asked that. She, of all people should know how uncomfortable it felt when asked about an ex.

“You don’t need to answer that, if you don’t want to.”

“It’s fine.” Elorm smiled at her. “I’m over her.”

Ellie didn’t know whether to believe him. She knew how much he loved Celine. It was such a shame she didn’t notice and had to leave him based on a trivial issue.

“She's happy in her new relationship. And I guess she’s getting all the attention she craved so much which I failed to give her.” He looked at Ellie.

Ellie felt the pain behind his words and reached to touch his hand on the table. “It’s her loss for not realizing how much she meant to you. You’re a great guy, Elorm.”

Elorm chuckled. “It’s your turn to make me blush, huh?”

Ellie smiled. “I mean it.” She squeezed his hand softly and he squeezed back.

“Alright. Can we stop being dramatic now?” he took his hand away.

Ellie chuckled. “As you wish.”

The waiter soon came to the table with their meal. After serving them, he handed Ellie a note. “Someone asked me to give you this.”

Ellie furrowed her brows as she looked at the folded note. “May I know who, please?”

“Actually, the person didn’t leave his name. I’m sure it might be in the note.” The waiter replied.

He? Who could that be? Ellie proceeded to unfold the sheet. Her eyes read the words on it and her confusion grew stronger.

Your smile is as radiant as the sun and your beauty is mesmerising. I’m not a poet but each time I look at you, I feel the urge to pen down how you make me feel.

Ellie lifted her eyes from the note and glanced at the waiter. “There’s no name on the letter.”

The waiter bit his lower lip. “Must be a secret admirer.” He shrugged.

“Admirer?” Elorm asked, reaching his hand for the note. “You don’t mind me reading it, do you?”

Ellie handed Elorm the note. “You can leave.” She told the waiter.

Elorm’s brows furrowed after reading the note. “The person must be here somewhere. Your secret admirer.” He joked, lifting an eyebrow at Ellie. “Beautiful words, I must say.”

She frowned and cast her eyes around the restaurant trying to look for the so-called admirer. Her eyes met with Michael’s who sat alone in a chair two tables from hers, looking at her. He smiled and waved.

Was the note from him? Ellie continued to look at him as he got up from his chair.

“What are you looking at?”
Elorm asked and when Ellie didn’t answer, he followed her gaze. “Michael?”

Michael walked nonchalantly towards Ellie’s table. Stopping beside her, he slipped his left hand into his side pocket and smiled. “Hey. I didn’t know I’d meet you here.”

Ellie didn’t say anything. She could see Elorm looking at her.

“How have you been?” Michael asked.

“Much better than you can imagine.” She said with a grim expression.

He nodded. “I’m glad to hear that. There’s something I need to tell you.”

Was it related to the note? Had he realized he’d made a mistake of leaving her?

“Can we talk?” He asked, his eyes boring into Ellie’s.

“No.” Elorm said grumpily before Ellie could respond.

She looked at him as Elorm glared at Michael. “I don’t think she wants to listen to anything you’ve to say.”  

Michael looked at him.“Don’t you think she’s the one to answer and not you?”

“There’s no way I’ll let you talk to her. There’s nothing to talk about, not after what you did to her.” Elorm scowled.

Michael ignored him and looked at Ellie. “Can we talk?” he asked her again.

Ellie stared back at him battling with the thoughts gushing in her head. What if he was sorry and wanted her back? What if he had to say something important? She clasped her fists and a frown crept on her face. Who did he think he was to break up with her and come back when he pleased? She wasn’t going to hand him the right to play with her emotions anytime he wanted.

“Ellie?” Michael called.

“Tell me whatever you want to say here. As you can see I’m busy with someone.” She said, making sure she sounded grim enough to hide her nervousness.

“You heard her.” Elorm said.

Michael looked at him. He stood there quietly for a while before sighing.

Ellie glanced at his table and notice Paula approaching it. She pulled a chair and sat down. “Your date is here. You shouldn’t keep her waiting.” She looked at Michael and gestured with her chin towards Paula.

Her insides were screaming as Michael nodded and quietly walked to his table.

She tightened her grip on the table as she glared at him, wanting so much to walk over to his table and yell at him. Why would he approach her when he was still together with Paula? The sight of them together made her sick. Maybe he wasn’t going to ask for a comeback. She felt stupid for rushing into conclusion.

She felt a hand softly touch her hand which clasped the table. She turned to look at Elorm. She sighed. “I’m fine.”

“That’s a lie.” He said softly.

“It’s not healthy getting so riled up, Ellie. That guy is clearly a jerk.”

Ellie sighed again. “Thanks a lot for stopping me from making the biggest mistake of my life. I’m glad I didn’t follow him.”

“Or maybe you should have. We have no idea what he wanted to say.”

“Whatever it was, I’m not interested.”

Elorm nodded. “Okay.”

“I’m sorry for almost ruining your night.”

“What? Are you serious!” He shook his head. “Don’t say that. You didn’t.”

“That’s good to hear.” Ellie smiled and tried to focus on her meal. She didn’t want to make Elorm uncomfortable. She’d try her best to resist the urge to glance at Michael and Paula.

“Enjoy your meal.” Elorm said.

Ellie nodded with a smile. “Sure.”