Chapter Forty

Ashton frowned. "Why did you have to lie to them? That's unfair!" He leaned forward from the chair and placed his arms on the smooth wooden desk.

"I know, and I feel so bad for this." Matilda twirled in the black swivel chair opposite Ashton, a sad look on her youthful face.

Ashton was silent but he couldn't stop glaring at his mother. Why on earth would she lie to Mrs. Asenso about her health status!

"I need her to be strong, Ashton. If she knows her clock is ticking who knows what she might resort to do! And besides, Lily can't know about this either."

Ashton sighed. Why did bad things always happen to good people? Mrs. Asenso was nothing but a sweet, kindhearted person who'd treated him with so much love, more like her son.

"Is there nothing we can do?" He asked.

"We're still hoping there is. But now, we'll keep her on the medications." Matilda replied. She reached her hand to cup Ashton's, "They don't need to hear this. I'll tell them at the right time."

"But..."

She lifted her brows, a persuasive look on her face, "Do this for me. And for Lily."

He sighed and nodded. "I just hope there's a way to get them the hell of out of this mess!"'

"I hope so too. I do." She squeezed his hand and nodded softly.

"I'll leave now. Have a nice day." Ashton pulled his hand away and got up from the chair.

Matilda nodded with a smile. "Make sure to take good care of Lily. She needs a strong person by her side."

He nodded and walked to the door. Glancing back at his mother, he turned the door knob and walked out of the office.

His heart leapt, skipping a beat as his wide eyes stared at Lily seated on the bench in front of the office. She was fumbling with the pendant necklace around her neck.

For how long had she been out there?  Was she listening to them?

She lifted her head to look at him and with a smile, she lifted herself from the bench and approached him.

Maybe she didn't eavesdrop. He hoped so, as he forced a smile at her.

"You're done?" She asked.

"Uhmm... Yeah, sure." His hand flew to his nape, "I thought you were with your mom."

"Yes, but the nurse said she needs to rest so I came here." She replied.

Ashton nodded. "So we can leave now?"

She smiled, "Sure."

They walked to the lobby, Ashton resisting the urge to pull Lily into his arms. How could he conceal such an important thing from her? Looking at the serene look on her face, Ashton's heart ached.

Lily glanced at him and stopped walking. "I'm glad I believed you, Ashton. Everything's getting better." She smiled and without warning, she leaned in towards him and hugging him tightly with a deep sigh of relief.

Ashton's hand hesitated before stroking her back, "Yes. I told you so." He managed to say.

"I only came around to give you your gift and I'm done so why are you still bothering me!"

A scream startled both Ashton and Lily. They immediately turned towards the reception to see Harris scolding a middle-aged woman.

"And what's wrong with you spending some time with your mother, Son?" The middle-aged woman asked, lifting her chin towards Harris.

She wore an ash office dress with her black hair hanging over her shoulders. She had a stethoscope around her neck and her hand was on her hips.

"Mother? Don't let me embarrass you, woman. I'm not your son." Harris scowled.

She reached to touch him on his hand, "I am your mother, Harris." She said softly.

"Stepmother! Point of correction." He hissed, "Now if you have nothing else to say, excuse me." He pushed her hand away and headed to the exit.

"OMG, this guy is so rude!" Lily whispered, her eyes still wide in shock.

"Let's go." Ashton took Lily's hand and dragged her out of the hospital after a last glance at the embarrassed middle-aged woman.

"I never knew Mrs. Mensah was this guy's mother." Ashton said when they were out of the building.

"Stepmother." Lily corrected, glancing at him.

Ashton scoffed. "That doesn't give him the audacity to talk to her anyhow."

"That's their family issue, Ashton. I'm sure we shouldn't meddle." She said.

Ashton's eyes fell on the white range rover speeding out of the walls of the building. He caught a glimpse at Harris in the driver's seat and sneered.

"Is the uber driver still coming?" Lily asked with a pout.

"Yes, just wait for a while." He answered, his eyes still on the now empty path.

Don't forget to comment and vote!!! ❤