Chapter Fifty-Seven

"It's amazing how I gave birth to just one child but nature blessed me with additional three." Martha Asenson smiled at Ellie, John and Felicia who sat in a three-in-one sofa opposite her.

They'd come around to visit her and hopefully reunite Ellie and Lily.

Mrs. Asenso glanced at the gifts they'd brought with them with teary eyes. It was great seeing her this happy. They glanced at each other with smiles.

"You're blessed indeed, Ma. And a mother like you is an honour." Felicia commented with a grin.

"Indeed." Ellie and John chorused.

"And it's time for your nap." Lily said, coming into the hall from the kitchen in a white apron; her hair in a bun and droplets of sweat on her brow.

"So soon?" Martha looked at her, furrowing her brows with a disappointment visible on her pretty, round face.

"Yes." Lily walked to the sofa and grabbed her mom by the hand, urging her to get up.

"Why should she sleep by this time? I'm sure she's enjoying our company." Felicia said but Lily didn't budge. She helped her mom up and carefully walked her to her room.

Ellie sighed. Lily was indeed acting weird lately and no one was eager than her to find out what was wrong. She was aware Lily would refuse to tell her but she wouldn't leave without getting the truth out from her.

When Lily returned to the hall, Ellie lifted her brows at her and said, "I'm sure it takes so much effort in acting this weird."

"Excuse me?" She asked.

"What is wrong with you? You're acting as if I've done something wrong."

Lily rolled her eyes and looked at John and Felicia. "Your fried plantain is ready, would you like me to bring it here or you prefer to eat in the kitchen?"

"Anywhere is cool with me." Felicia replied, "But first of all, what is wrong with you?"

"And don't say it's related to your mother because we know your mother is fine." John added.

Lily sighed and sat on the armrest. "There's nothing wrong with me. I'm fine."

"We're not buying that, Lily. Spill it." Felicia looked at her sternly.

Silently awaiting Lily's reply, Ellie watched her closely. She knew her so well to tell something was indeed eating her up, but how was it connected to her?

"Alright, let me make it easier for you." Felicia sat up in the sofa. "It's pretty obvious it's a boyfriend drama, but I don't understand why you had to keep it a secret from your friends who you're dating."

Lily scoffed and looked away. "I'm not dating."

She wasn't? Ellie frowned.

"I thought you and Ashton had a thing going on. Don't lie about it." John said. "I know you like him."

Lily was quiet for a while before sighing. "You know? Then that's embarrassing."

"How so?" He asked.

"He likes someone else."

Ellie felt uncomfortable when Lily met her eyes, shooting her a cold glare.

Oh okay. Now, she knew what was going on.

"I'm sure you don't mean me, since you're looking at me like that." She asked, looking intently at Lily.

"This is insane. I can't believe I've been trying all this while to hook Ellie and Ashton up without knowing you liked him!" Felicia exclaimed.

Ellie's heart ached when a tear fell down Lily's cheek. Did she like him that much? How come she didn't know about it? She could swear she knew Lily like her palm, it was easy to read her like a book!

Lily sniffed and quickly brushed her index finger under her eyes. "Don't worry. I still think Ellie and Ash make a great couple. It was my fault for thinking we could ever be a pair."

"Silly, and why not?" Ellie got up from the sofa and walked to Lily. "Are you blind at all the things he does for you? No one loves and cares about you as much as Aston does."

"That's true." Added Felicia.

Circling her hand on Lily's shoulder, Ellie lifted her chin. "There's nothing going on between Ashton and I. We're just friends and I'm sure he's just confused about his feelings for you and so you shouldn't give up."

Lily looked at Ellie. "I look pathetic, right?" She asked. "I can't believe I've failed at being strong. How could I grow this weak?"

"Because you're in love. It has the power to make you powerless." Ellie replied with a shrug. "It's normal."

"And the power to make you feel useless. Especially when your feelings are not reciprocated." Lily added. "That's how I'm feeling right now."

"You shouldn't feel this way, dammit!" Felicia walked up to Lily. "Why should you allow yourself to feel this way because someone doesn't want to be with you? That's craziness!"

Lily sighed, hanging her head.

"You're beautiful, a good cook, a sweet person and you have an amazing mom. If he doesn't want to be with you damn, you still have us!" Felicia continued.

Lily lifted up her head and chuckled. "You sure do have a beautiful way of cheering me up, Felicia."

"That's because everything I said is true. No one ever said love was easy, but if it works fine, if it doesn't, move on. That's how you should approach life, henceforth." Felicia continued.

Lily nodded. "You're right." She looked at Ellie and smiled, "I was crazy to think it was your fault Ashton still sees me as his little sister. I'm sorry."

Ellie smiled. "You should be rest assured. Ashton's nothing but a friend." When those words left her mouth, Ellie couldn't tell why her heart tightened as if she'd just told a lie.

If Ashton was just a friend, why did she enjoy his kisses? Why did her body yearn to be with him? That wasn't healthy, considering how much Lily was nuts about him.

When her phone suddenly rang, she was glad to be able to escape the awkward silence in the room. She pulled out the phone from the back pocket of her skinny jeans and glanced at the screen.

Staring at the caller ID, she took in a deep breath before answering and bringing it to her ear. "Michael?"

They turned to look at her.

"Alright. Sure." Ellie said and hang up. She glanced at her friends and shrugged. "He's back. I'll meet you guys later."

"Sure. Stay safe." Felicia said with a smile, watching Ellie grab her purse.

"Alright." Ellie waved at them and headed towards the door.

Vote, comment and share!!! ❤🤗