Chapter Sixty-Nine

"Are you okay?"

Ellie turned from the window and glanced over her shoulder at the taxi driver. Forcing a smile, she nodded. "I'm fine, why do you ask?"

He shrugged. "You look like you've got a lot on your mind."

It was true, there were a lot going on in her mind that it was nearly driving her nuts. It wasn't a good idea to hurt Michael the way she did when she was aware he was already in pain. She knew those words from her had broken his heart but maybe not the same way he broke her heart.

There was no way what he was feeling could compare to what she'd felt. He'd shattered her hopes, it had felt like daggers piercing through her heart.

Although he'd explained his reasons for ending their relationship, there was no way Ellie was interested in getting back with him. She still couldn't believe how she'd been able to forget about him, he was the love of her life!

Sadly, not anymore.

It's him? Ashton?

Those words echoed in her ears, even as she tried to shut off that voice. She had no answer for that question.

Ashton was obviously a nice person and she wouldn't deny how much she'd grown to like him over the past weeks.

Her attitude towards him had changed, he was definitely not the bad boy she'd presumed him to be.

But it was a bad idea to get too comfortable with him. He would never be hers, he belonged to Lily.

"Just a few things on my mind, but I'll be fine. Thanks for caring." She replied the driver.

"Let me play you some music to cheer you up. And maybe you should shift those things on your mind aside for a while." He smiled at her.

Ellie smiled back. It was rare for taxi drivers to show concern like this, it melted her heart. "Thanks a lot."

He nodded and began to play music from his phone which he'd connected to stereo. "I'm sure you'll like this."

Sarkodie's Saara instantly filled the car and Ellie gave the driver a smile. "it's fine." But she didn't want to admit it to him that it was the wrong song choice at the moment.

She turned and looked through the window, she'd soon arrive at the hostel. And couldn't wait to get in bed and sleep. It was what she needed.

The car pulled by the street, parking in front of the hostel and Ellie unbuckled her seat belt. "Thank you."

The driver smiled at her. "You're welcome. Just take care of yourself."

She nodded and stepped down from the car. Entering the building, she waved at the man at the counter and approached the stairs.

Her phone rang just when she was two stairs away from the landing. She glanced at her phone and when she noticed it was Elorm calling, she bit her lip.

After what had happened between them, it was the first time she'd heard from him. She didn't know if she was ready to listen to whatever he had to say to her.

She ignored the call and walked on. Reaching the landing, she nearly lost her balance at the sight of Elorm approaching the stairs.

She held the rail tightly as she watched him walk towards her, not knowing what to do or say.

He had his attention on his phone, probably calling her back after the call ended, but she couldn't descend the stairs since he was already closer to her.

When the phone rang again, Ellie cursed silently. Closing her eyes for some seconds, she bit on her lip. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to ignore him after all.

Elorm finally noticed her, "Ellie..." His face brightened and he stopped in front of her.

"Hey, Elorm." She forced a smile. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"Yeah. I came to see you, but your friends said you'd gone to see Michael."

She pursed her lips and nodded. "Yeah. How long have you been here?"

"Not too long." He smiled.

She nodded and waited for him to spill out why he was there.

"Uhm, Ellie..." His voice softened, "I'm truly sorry for what happened the last time I came over."

She looked at him, her hand holding her waist.

"I was drunk, even though I'd done that on purpose to confess my feelings to you, I never planned on hurting you."

"It's alright."

"It is?" He asked raising his brows. "It's not. I feel so bad for what i did."

"I said it's okay." She said. "I'm also sorry for mistaking you for someone."

"Yeah. I heard it was Paula." He sighed. "Maybe if I'd come out proper with my feelings you wouldn't have assumed I'd hurt ever you."

She gulped, yet said nothing.

"My feelings for you still hasn't changed, Ellie. Even though you've made it clear I'm still nothing but just a friend to you."

She looked at him and sighed. "Elorm..."

"I don't think i even qualify for that status after the way I'd acted the last time." He interrupted. "But don't worry, I'll be okay with however you choose to see me."

Ellie sighed. She didn't know how to reply that so just remained quiet.

"It's late. I'll leave you to rest."

She nodded. "Sure, good night."

"And, all the best in your new relationship with Michael. I hope he doesn't fuck up this time."

She was about to tell him she wasn't getting back with Michael but Elorm proceeded to walk down the stairs after his comment.

Taking in a deep breath to calm herself down, she clutched her phone and strode towards her door.