Chapter Forty-Eight

Ellie caressed the charm bracelet on her wrist and a faint smile crept on her lips. It felt ridiculous how much she was interested in a random, crazy guy hitting on her. What was more confusing was why he wouldn't show up instead of playing undercover.

Thinking all day who her secret admirer could be, she couldn't refrain herself from thinking about Michael.

She knew it was crazy thinking about him, but what could she do when all clues she'd gathered pointed in his direction?

Ashton? That guy was mysterious. But why would Ashton resort to keeping his identity hidden? He didn't look like the type to play hide and seek.

An image of their moment in her room with him pinning her against the closet flashed through her mind and she shuddered. It had been long- so long since she felt his persuasive lips on hers. Hating to admit it, she missed him. Very much.

Ellie shook herself and sat up in the chair.

"I thought Lily was coming. Where's she?" Felicia asked, scanning the cafeteria.

Ellie looked up and shrugged. "I don't think she's going to come."

"And why not?" John, sipping his mocha asked, furrowing his brows.

Ellie shrugged again. "She's being acting really weird lately and I don't know why. She doesn't want to talk to me either."

Felicia frowned, sliding her phone on the table, "Is it about her Mom?"

"Told you she refused to tell me what's wrong. But I'm sure her Mom is fine."

"Then what is it? Is it Ashton?" John asked.

Ellie quickly looked in his direction.

He shrugged. "It could be. They've been acting funny of late."

"I'm sorry"

The text Ashton had sent to Lily popped in Ellie's mind and she bit her lip. John might be right.

"How funny?" Felicia asked.

John grinned. "I don't know how true this is, but I think there could be a lot going on between those two."

Felicia frowned. "Those two are friends, John. In case you've forgotten." She rolled her eyes and shook her head.

John chuckled and picked his mocha, "They could be more than that, Felicia. Don't be oblivious."

"You're crazy." Felicia shook her head again.

Playing with the bracelet, Ellie couldn't help but ponder over what John had said. He could be right about this one too. And since the day Ashton had come around for dinner, she couldn't stop but sense how strange he and Lily had acted. And how he'd walked away was questioning, she hadn't seen him so mad like that.

"From the look on your face I'm sure you've realized this too right, Ellie?" John asked.

She looked up at John and Felicia who were intently staring at her. She cleared her throat and forced a smile, "I don't see anything wrong with that. They seem like a cute pair."

"You're kidding, right?" Felicia asked.

Ellie shrugged and looked away, making sure they wouldn't notice the truth in her eyes.

"Don't listen to John. He's just crazy." Felicia said, touching Ellie lightly on the hand.

"Why's he late? He said he's going to be here at 4pm!" Ellie whined, hoping they'd stop talking about Ashton. She glanced at the screen of her phone for the time.

"It's 3:45, Ellie. He's not late." Felicia answered, "And I know you're trying to shut me up."

John chuckled. "I think we need to find a seat somewhere close before he arrives. We can't ruin Ellie's date for her when he finds out where tagged along."

"You're right. Maybe I'll have to wait for Sammy to get off work, it wouldn't be bad asking him on a date too right?"

Ellie lifted her brows at Felicia, "Don't tell me you're serious about that waiter."

"I am, honey. I've got my eyes on his cute ass." Felicia giggled, "You can't blame me for him being so hot. I'm sure he must have a girlfriend, but who cares?"

Ellie held her head and sighed, "You've lost it." Shaking her head she asked, "What of James? Don't tell me you broke up with him."

"Well, I did." Felicia shrugged. "He's boring."

"You keep hurting guys like that Felicia, and it's not even funny. You need to get serious." John said in exasperation.

"Let's hope Sammy helps." She grinned. "But hey, what's wrong with dating for fun? That's what the guys do anyway."

"Not everyone." John replied.

"Whatever." Felicia rolled her eyes.

Ellie pursed her lips. She wasn't going to bug in this matter. Felicia was stubborn and she'd waste her breath arguing with her. After all, the guys deserved that. They were never real in the first place.

Her phone dinged on the table and she picked it up. "It's him."

John and Felicia quickly picked up their drinks, ready to move to the next table until Ellie sighed.

"What?" John asked.

Raising the phone she showed them the text message;

I'm sorry, Ellie. I can't make it, something came up.

Felicia groaned, "WTF! Did he really have to so this?"

"Do you think he might be here?" John asked, his eyes roaming around the room.

Felicia and Ellie's followed his gaze.

"I wouldn't be surprised. He might feel intimidated with us around and wouldn't want to show up." Felicia said.

"He must be a shy guy, then." Ellie smirked.

"Too bad." Felicia grunted.

"Yeah, yeah." John plopped down in his chair and sucked on his drink.

Ellie sighed. She was placing her phone in her purse when it rang. She hissed at the caller ID, glaring at the screen.

"Who's it?" Asked Felicia.

"Paula."

"Oh, no." She groaned. "Answer it."

Ellie nodded. "What do you want?" She said into the phone.

"You're needed in the studio right now, Ellie. Where are you?" Paula said in a relaxed tone.

"What for? Cos Mr. Sarpong hasn't called me." Ellie said, irritated.

"He told me to call you. Are you coming or not?"

Ellie clenched her fists trying to suppress the anger boiling inside her.

"Don't be a bad girl, Ellie. Now get your ass down here, you hear?"

Before she could retort, Paula hanged up the call.

"You guys are so funny. It's nice watching you rile up each time she calls you." Felicia giggled.

"It's not funny." Ellie rolled her eyes, "And she wouldn't stop being an ass."

"And I know you're angry with her because she craftly snatched your beloved Michael from you." Felicia teased.

Ellie shot her a glare and got up from the chair, grabbing her purse. "I'm leaving." She didn't wait for an answer and headed towards the exit.

Don't forget to vote! ❤🎊