Chapter Seventy

"Her health is surprisingly improving beyond imagination and I can't explain how thrilled I am." Matilda said, taking off her glasses.

"I'm glad to hear that too, Mom." Ashton replied, shoving handful of chips on his mouth.

Just when he'd thought Lily's mother's health was never getting better a miracle had happened. Now he could relax, he wouldn't feel like they were hiding something from Lily henceforth.

"The court hearing is scheduled this Friday and I'm confident they'll get the restaurant and house back too."

"That's amazing. I know Attorney Rockson is great, i trust him." He smiled. Leaning forward, he took his mother's hand. "You guys have done a lot for Lily and her mother. I'm so proud of you."

"Silly. They're like a family, remember?"

He smiled. "Yeah. They are." He picked up a can of soda from the desk and drew it to his mouth for a sip.

"Maybe not a complete family till you tie the knot with Lily. When are you going to confess your feelings to her though?"

Ashton almost choked on his drink. He coughed slightly and cleared his throat. "What?"

Matilda threw her head back in laughter. "Why are you surprised?"

Ashton frowned as he looked at her. Where from those ideas?

Matilda squinted her eyes, "You think I don't know you like her?"

"What are you talking about?" Ashton asked. "Lily and i are friends, Mom."

"Hey, I'm your mother. I've seen how you take care of her and how you stare at her since childhood, Ashton."

"So staring and taking care of someone means I have feelings for her?"

"Nope. But you already told Martha and I you'd marry Lily."

He frowned, ready protest until it dawned on him. He'd indeed said that. "But that was about fifteen years ago, Mom!"

She smiled. "I'm glad you still remember. Your feelings for her hasn't changed, right?"

Ashton furrowed his brows. He'd said that when he and was seven and Lily was six. At that time he'd thought Lily was the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen and he'd dreamt about growing up and marrying her.

But when he'd spent most of his life playing the role of a brother, those fantasies soon faded. Now, he only saw Lily as his sister.

"Don't tell me you told this to Lillian?" He asked, dreading her response.

"Of course, I did. Why wouldn't I tell my future daughter-in-law?" She smiled.

"Stop saying that." He said grimly. This could be the reason Lily was still holding on to him. Why would his mother even think it was okay to tell Lily about his childhood fantasies!

"Tell her your feelings, Ashton. You know she loves you too." Monica winked.

He rolled his eyes. "You're unbelievable!"

"Why are you acting like this? It's not as if you have a girlfriend."

She looked at him and he lifted his brows at her.

"Wait, you do?"

"Can we stop talking about my personal life?"

"No. I want to know who's trying to compete with my Lily."

Ashton shook his head and got up from the chair. "I'm leaving. I'll see you soon."

Matilda sighed. "Okay. Take care."

Ashton waved as he headed to the door.

      *****

Michael stepped out of the police station with Inspector Larry, his mother and Paula following behind. He couldn't believe his mother had successfully persuaded the policemen to release Paula from their custody on a trivial reason.

She'd said Paula could be suffering from a psychotic disorder and that she couldn't have acted the way she had in her right senses. What surprised him more was the doctor's report which confirmed his mother's craziness. He didn't know whether it was real or his mother had connived with the doctor to produce a fake report just to save Paula from the punishment they'd soon pronounce on her.

"We've already booked her with the therapist which she'd commence on Monday." Inspector Larry said as they stood outside of the station.

"Thank you so much, Inspector." Michael's mother smiled.

"Not so fast, Madam." He replied and glanced at the disheveled Paula, "we're still going to keep an eye on her. We don't want her causing problems in the future."

"You don't need to worry about that. She'll be properly supervised." She replied.

Michael rolled his eyes. If only she meant what she'd said. There was no way his mother was going to put a restrain Paula.

"Alright. You can take her away since everything here is done." The Inspector said.

"Bye, Inspector." She said and waved at him. "Come here, Paula. Get into the car and have a rest."

Paula smiled and nodded. "Thanks so much, Aunt. I hope Mom hasn't heard about this?"

"No. There's no way I'd tell her." She smiled. "Just promise to be a good girl henceforth."

Michael didn't want to watch the drama again so he walked to his car to drive away.

"Hello, Mister? Where do you think you're going?" His mother shouted after him.

"School, of course." He said, turning to look at her.

She nodded. "Alright. But I'm taking Paula to Accra. She needs time for herself."

"What about the therapy?" He asked.

"She'll have it in Accra. Don't worry, I'll deal with everything."

Michael sighed. It was a relief, after all he wasn't going to see that face any time soon. "Okay. Bye." He took out his keys from his back pocket and before he could slip into his car, he felt a hand on his shoulder.

Without turning, he knew who it was. "What again?"

Paula sighed. "I hope it's not too late to say I'm sorry."

He turned to look at her. "The damage is already done, no need to apologize."

Paula hang her head.

"Just focus on your therapy. I'm sure it'll be of help. At least I'll let you realize the importance of a family."

She lifted her head and pursed her lips.

"Move aside, I want to get in my car." He said and opened the door.

Not bothering to look at his mother and Paula when they made their way into the black range rover which had their driver waiting for them, he sped off on the road, heading straight to school.

Vote, comment and share!!! ❤