Chapter Thirty-Eight

Staring blindly from her seat at the cops, Ellie pursed her lips. She couldn't hear what the three policemen were telling Mr. Sarpong and she was too numb to walk over to the pool to listen.

Judging by the grim look on Mr. Sarpong's face, she could tell something  was up.

Thankfully, Celine's body was finally out of the pool and that was more than a relief to Ellie. However, the only thing she couldn't find an answer to was why Celine would take her own life?

Was there more to her situation which she didn't know? Had Jackie kept an important matter hidden from her? Or had Celine herself hidden it from everyone?

"You still haven't said where you've been all night, Lily."

Ellie heard Felicia questioning Lily but she was too overwhelmed to butt in.

"I was around. Just chatting with some few colleagues." Lily flashed a smile and flicked her hair behind her. With a nervous look on her face, she darted her eyes. "I don't like how you're staring at me, Felicia."

"That's because I know you're lying." Felicia raised her brows. "But don't worry, I'll deal with you later."

Ellie sighed. She finally glanced their way and shook her head, "Can't you guys at least be quiet?"

"You're not yourself, Ellie. Let's go back to the hostel." Felicia said with a sad face.

Not replying, she darted her eyes around in search of Elorm who'd left to meet a friend. Squinting her eyes, she saw a tall figure slowly approaching them.

When he got closer, Ellie forced a smile at him. Ashton had his hands tucked inside his pockets and an anxious look on his face.

"I was asked to check up on you. I can tell how you're feeling and I feel terrible too." Ashton said. "It's very sad."

Ellie sighed. "Thank you." She furrowed her brows. "Lily's here. So who asked you to check up on me?"

Ashton smiled. "Elorm. Something came up so he had to leave."

"Oh..." Ellie said and narrowed her gaze.

"C'mon. Let me take you home." Ashton offered his hand.

Ellie stared at him for a while before taking his hand. She got up from her seat and nodded. "Okay."

Ashton smiled.

"Finally! Someone has been able to convince this stubborn girl to get up and go home." Felicia threw her hands in the air dramatically.

Rolling her eyes, Ellie shook her head. She tensed when Ashton moved to curl his hand around her.

"Let's go." He said.

"I don't think it's necessary to come with us, Ashton. We'll take Ellie home." Lily said, stopping them in their tracks.

"I think she's right." John said, "It's been one hell of a night and we all need to rest. We'll take her home."

Ashton looked at Ellie.

She nodded. "It's fine."

He sighed. "Alright."

Lily moved to Ellie and wrapped her arms around her. "I don't think it's nice getting so worked up about this whole thing when it's got nothing to do with you."

Ellie hang her head. Lily was right. But Celine was a great person and it was such a pity she couldn't get help before had to submit to the idea of committing suicide. What at all had agonized her? 

"Good night, guys. I'll see you later." Ashton said with a wave.

Lily looked up at him with a sweet smile. "Have a good night, Ash."

Ashton nodded and without another word, he strode towards the exit of he building.

"I think I should catch up with Ashton. I need a ride home." Felicia gushed and hugging both Ellie and Lily, she waved. "Bye, guys." She raced towards Ashton.

"Let's go home." John said, taking Ellie's hand.

Ellie forced a smile. "Sure." With a glance at Mr. Sarpong still talking with the cops by the pool, she reluctantly followed John and Lily out of the building.

Do you think Ellie is getting a little too emotional about Celine's death?

Was it right for Elorm to ignore Celine or he could have shown some concern? 

Is it advisable to meddle in your ex's personal issues?

Don't forget to comment, vote and share!!! ❤