Chapter Thirty-One

Ellie pulled off her sunglasses and sighed, a big smile spreading across her lips. Shoving the sunglasses in her purse, she walked towards the famous local restaurant, Veronica's Bar And Cuisine. It was easy to find, right across the road with it's huge bill board mounted beside the building.

She'd heard her dad talk so much about the restaurant and Ellie was more than excited to meet him there.

When she'd received his call this afternon, which was something she'd been waiting since her mother said he was in town, Ellie was restless. It had been a whole year and she hadn't set her eyes on her father!

Ellie pulled the sliding door and entered the restaurant, her eyes itching to spot her dad.

And just as she'd imagined, he was seated at the right corner of the room, dressed in a navy blue T-shirt. He was well built; his shoulders broad and his chest wide. With a well groomed beard, a chiselled jawline and full lips, Mr. Nelson Stevens was a handsome middle-aged man.

He loved T-shirts so much it was hard to spot him in any other attire. Except of course, ocassions where he had to dress formally.

Ellie grinned as she quietly approached him. He had no idea she'd arrived since  his attention was fixed on his phone.

Dad and his phone! Ellie shook her head. Until now, she had no idea what always intrigued him on that little machine of his.

Making sure not to distract him, she tiptoed behind him and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck "Dad!" She giggled.

"Eleanor, my Angel!" He let out a throaty laugh. "When did you get here?"

"Long enough to see you glued to your phone, Dad. You won't even lift your head!" Ellie loosened her grip and pulled away.

"Yes. I was reading some emails." He confessed. Smiling, he gestured Ellie to sit in the empty seat beside him. "I can't believe you're all grown up in just a short while."

Ellie grinned.

"What have you been eating?" He frowned. "I didn't want to believe this from the pictures you sent."

"C'mon, Dad. I just gained some few pounds." Ellie rolled her eyes and sat down beside him.

"Just look at those cheeks..."

"Dad!" Ellie shot him a glare.

Nelson lifted his hand in retreat and smiled. "It's been a long time since I ate here." His eyes scanned around and he called a waiter to their table.

"I miss you, Dad." Ellie pouted. "Are you guys seriously not going to settle things?"

Nelson glanced at her. "We've talked about this, Ellie. Your mum is just stubborn, she wouldn't listen to anything I say."

Ellie sighed. He was right. Her mother waa just unbelievable! Accusing her dad of something he didn't do. "That's bad."

Nelson nodded. "Don't worry, I'm sure she'll come around."

"I hope so." Ellie forced a smile.

"Get us some fufu and goat meat pepper soup..."

Ellie listened as her dad talked to the waiter, her mouth watering already at the food she was yet to eat. Her father was a fufu lover, and he always ate his fufu with Ellie, something she'd greatly missed about him since he left.

When the waiter arrived with their bowl of fufu, father and daughter didn't hesitate to gobble up their meal.

"This is so great!" Nelson grinned and picked up a glass of water.

"When are you going back?" Ellie asked, fearing his reply. She wished he'd stay and make things right again.

Nelson gulped down his glass of water and belched. With a sheepish grin, he set the glass down on the table. "I'll be around for about a week or two. There's a project I'm working on which demands me to stay for a while."

"I see." Ellie narrowed her eyes. She was excited to hear that but suddenly frowned. Lifting her eyes to look at him she asked, "What about me? There was no way you were going to stay because of me?"

Nelson reached for her hand and smiled, "I'm around for you too, honey. Why do you talk like that?"

Ellie frowned.

"I just thought you're a big girl now. You can do better without your dad." He added.

"Whatever. It's obvious you didn't come because of me nor Mum."

Nelson's smile wiped off. "Ellie..."

"Dad, It's okay. You don't need to say anything." Ellie reached for her bag and got up from her seat.

"Hey, where are you going?" Nelson looked at her with a confused face.

"Back to school? There's something I need to attend to."

Nelson got up and sighed. "You're angry. I'm sorry."

"See you later, Dad." Ellie said nonchalantly.

"Here," He pulled a card from his pocket. "You can find me here. That's where I'm staying."

Ellie took the card and glanced at the inscription on it, Hotel D'Amour.

"You can't even stay home?" Ellie asked,  slipping the card in her purse.

"Not yet." He said with a sad face. "Stay safe."

Ellie sighed and with a nod, she tuned and headed towards the exit.

Why didn't both her parents know how bad their current situation was affecting her? She couldn't help but feel sorry for herself for helplessly watching her family tear apart.

Reaching the roadside, Ellie sniffed, trying hard not to break down. She swiped her fingers under her eyes and took in a deep breath. Everything would be okay. She assured herself.

A cab pulled in front of her and glancing back, she noticed her Dad waving at her through the transparent window. Waving back, Ellie hopped in the cab and was driven back to school.