CHAPTER 27

Taking a spoonful of her strawberry parfait, Kana look around the café that Zora recommended

Taking a spoonful of her strawberry parfait, Kana look around the café that Zora recommended. In front of the man itself is a cup of coffee.

Turning over the red-haired man, she watches him put four cubes of sugar into his drink and took a sip of it.

Kana can feel Muku squirming inside her robe, wishing that he can come out of his hide spot. She pats his head apologetically since there are few other customers in the café, which meant that he needs to stay hidden, making him whine.

"So, what do you think?" Zora asks, earning the girl's attention.

"Of what?"

"You know?" He waves his hand dismissively. "Partnering with me."

"Oh." Her mouth is forming 'o' shape remembering his earlier suggestion. "Before that—I want to know, why do you hate magic knights so much?" She asked and took a spoonful of her dessert.

Zora looks in thought as he leans back and folds his muscly arms against his bare chest. "Hmm, feel like I'm in a job interview."

The fire magic user shrug. "I assume that you already know about my reasoning; it would be fair if I know yours."

She waits patiently while eating her parfait for him to talk. The girl knows that he has a hard time talking about his reasoning. She was just rather curious about why he hates the magic knights and even brave enough to beat the crap out of a few of them.

"Ah~" Zora sigh loudly. "Well, since you are kind of cute-"

Kana raises her eyebrows, putting down her spoon after taking the last bite of her now finished desert. She watches him scratches the back of his neck, noting that he's feeling uncomfortable about what he's about to say.

"If you don't want to-"

He raises his hand, stopping her from finishing her words. "No. You were right. Partners need to trust each other, and it's not fair if I'm the only one who knows about you."

He sigh. "My father. He was a magic knight." He starts.

Muku, who can feel the sudden change of atmosphere, took a peek. Kana raise the hood of the robe, allowing for the little beast to rest his head over her shoulder while they focus their attention on the other redhead. The girl was curious over the word 'was,' but she let him tell the story instead of her intercepting.

"You know, he was the first commoner who manages to join the magic knights." He flashes her a proud smile. "Even though he keeps failing the tests, he keeps on trying until he finally accepted."

His smile instantly disappears. "He got accepted into the Purple Orca's squad." Zora clenches his fist so tight that his knuckle turns paler than his skin. "Of course, being the only peasant he is, the other wasn't so accepting. One day he was killed in battle during a mission. One day I visited his grave only to find a few of his squad mates have come to visit. They--"