CHAPTER 20

"What a disaster?" Leopold scratches his head as he glances around the farm.

Both members have been brought over the farm to search for any clues on the culprit. Just like the chief and his daughter have told them, their farm is in states of chaos with the veggies that have been pulled out and the fruits have been pluck including the unripe.

"Yosh! Let's get this started then!" The older boy fired up the glance over his junior only to see that she's frowning in thought. "What's wrong?"

Kana walk passes him and kneels over the pulled carrots and tatoes. "Don't you think it's weird how they all been left around?"

"Who knows? Maybe it just some sort of sick jokes?"

The red-haired girl sigh. "Do you honestly they would play around with all this?"

Leopold tilts his head. "What do you meant?"

"Look around." She stood up and motion over the village. "This is a village in the outermost area. The only resources for them to live would be from planting their food and grow them. Just like livestock where they have to breed by themselves. This village is located far from the other villages or even inner regions. People don't just play around with their food here. Unlike nobles, our ways are to live from hand to mouth. That's why royal like you won't understand it." She spat and walk away leaving the shocked boy alone frowning at her words.

The messy vermillion haired boy could only watch as she walks away knowing that it would be adding fuel to the fire if he chases over her. He let out a sigh and glance back over the farm. Only then when he understands her words. The corps and fruits have been left lays around untouchable. Not even one of them being eaten or destroyed, just each one of them plucked out of their place.

Looking deep in thought, something caught his eyes over the fence. He took it between his fingers only to frown. "Isn't this-"

After leaving her comrade, Kana walk around the village hoping to found some clues and to cool her head off. It was quite unfair that she suddenly snap off over her senior but her mind filled the memories where it was hard for her and those at the church to earn foods even when some of the villagers have kindly enough to share some of theirs but still, with the numbers of the children among them, it still harsh for them.

There some days where she have to give her share away toward the youngest, even Asta and Yuno have to go through a day with an empty stomach. Tatoes are the only food they manage to get with the budget they have but just enough to fill themselves.

Lucky for them as they got older, some of the villagers agree to give the trio jobs so they could earn extra money for the church. Father and Sister Lily disagree with the idea since they have vows that they should be the ones taking care of them not the other way around.

Thus, however, the three of them still work around brushing off their words in hope that it will lessen their burden.

Thinking back about it, Kana smile sadly remembering the look on both of them after they give them their first salary. They held a small celebration with tatoes and the smile on the youngest children who happily eat without care warm her heart.

The feeling of satisfaction grow over her seeing that her effort truly paid off and now remembering those days back, there's not once did she hate doing it. "Maybe I shouldn't be too harsh at him." She mutter.

Sudden movement catch her eyes only to fall on Main, the girl from the Chief's house, his granddaughter. She's clutching something over her chest looking like she's in hurry.