CHAPTER 52

Fixing her hair around nervously, Kana can feel her heart drumming loudly for the upcoming plan that she blanks out despite her surroundings by the chaos of the Star Award Festival.

They have promised to meet when the sunset since the festival will be starting in the late evening.

Kana didn't even know why she suddenly had such feelings since they had known for so long and weren't even a stranger to each other. She was pulling a strand of thread when she heard her name being called.

"Kana-chan."

Turning to face the caller, her heart skips a beat making the redhead frown as she puts a hand over her heart. 'Weird'

"Something wrong?" Yuno asks, stopping right in front of the girl who muttering to herself.

"Nothing." Kana brushed it off and her neck pulled back as the boy had grown a bit taller in the last few months making her sigh. "I seriously hate you."

"Hm?" He tilts his head, innocently not taking her words to the heart.

Yuno could sense her words were merely a joke but his own heart was betraying his calmness as they had been beating since the night before and he was nervous about meeting the girl after so long. Seeing her again and noticing his necklace circling her neck has made his situation even worse. He can also see that her maturity is shining with her height also increasing and every aspect has made her glow even more.

"It's nice to see you again." He is finally able to speak up after being stunned for a moment.

Kana blinks, and grins. "So do I."

They stood silently as they bathed in each other presence but not in awkward ways but more of a feeling that belonged to be together.

Sylph who had been watching on top of Yuno's shoulder pouted since she was heavily warned by the boy to never interfere with him nor mock the fire user and especially try to even think of ruining their day.

"Why don't we have a look around?" Kana suggests after snapping out of her trance. "I think I saw a booth selling kebabs. They look good."

"Let's go," Yuno answered, not a breath wasted.

Never have they attended such a big festival since they were a child. The village back home only held a small celebration and only consisted of small vendors visited by nearby villagers or passing merchants but never as grand as the Star Festival.

They have visited a few stalls selling new foods that they never met or tasted. They had mapo tofu that became the girl's favourite but opposite of Yuno who was beaten by the spiciness of it. They then even come upon a dessert stall that sells crepes to help ease the boy's tongue.

"How are you feeling?" Kana asks, finishing the last bite of her strawberry crepe.

Yuno's face reddened from shame as he also took a bite of his crepe. "I'm sorry you have to see that?"

"Don't mind it." She bumps her shoulder against his, reassuringly. "It was my idea to eat it. Never thought they would be too spicy. We never see so many of them."

The boy has always been marked and seen as a cool and calculated person whom many girls swooned over but whenever he was with Kana, he always managed to make a fool of himself.

Yuno sighs catching the girl's attention. "Is something wrong?"

"No, just thinking about something unimportant." He responds.

As she finally remembers it, Kana unclasped the necklace around her neck and offered it over to the owner. "Here you go, sorry, I forgot to give it back."

Yuno was caught off guard as he did notice the necklace earlier but he didn't think of taking it back sooner as he liked the fact that she was wearing it. "Thank you." He took it and wore it over his neck.

THUD

"Itai." The boy grimaces after receiving a sudden hit on the head.

"What were you thinking?" Kana asks, fist still raising threateningly. "That necklace was so important to you, how can you even think of giving it to me?"

Yuno watched her fumes but it made a smile, "Because— I was thinking that Kana-chan was probably lonely there and for me—" He gently pushed off the hair on the side of Kana's face making his fingers tracing her cheeks that flushed from his move. "Kana-chan have been more important than that necklace."

They were suddenly stuck in a daze as they lost themselves again. Kana suddenly found his golden freckling eyes like stars brightening the night and the same for Yuno who was lost in her emerald eyes that had always rendered him speechless.

Lost in their moments, they didn't notice that their bodies were slowly moving closer until their noses were about to hit each other.

Even the bustling streets filled with locals and travellers shouting in glee and children running in happiness can reach them.

They both can feel their hearts drumming so loudly that they could be mistaken for the sounds coming from the others and just as their lips are about to meet—

"aaaAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Followed by a loud crash that destroyed the crates near them making both teenagers snap out of their daze and back away, red faces.

It took her a while but a thought suddenly came over her. "That sounds like Asta." But before she's able to investigate the crash, Yuno already pulling her away.

"I think I saw some shooting game over there."

"Yuno— wait— I think I heard—"

"That stall selling grilled tatoes—"

"Where?!" Kana's dementor changed quickly as she happily looked for the vendor that she missed the dark-haired boy whose face was still flushed from their earlier action. He gently touches his lips before sighing. 'Asta that idiot.'

"Yuno! Let's play this game!"

"Coming!"

Sylph who have been silently watching their interactions since they arrived. She has seen how happy Yuno was whenever he received letters from the redhead and sometimes, she watches him staring off while holding onto them. Despite her displease, Sylph can see that just being with Kana has been the happiest for Yuno. There even once he told her how important the necklace was to him yet the boy didn't even think twice about it and sent it over to the redhead.

"I got it!" Kana cheers as she wins a green eagle plushie and proudly shows it to Yuno while he wins a pink bunny that he offers over to her and she does the same to him.

"I lost." Sylph sighs, smiling as she watches them laughing as they reach over to the next booth that sells masks.

A/N: Huhu