CHAPTER 38

Kana breathed out before falling on her knees, sweating profusely

"Kana-chan!" Asta run over his friend in worry.

"I'm *pant fine." She swallows hard. The last attack used every last drop of her mana that she can feel every part of her body shaking. "I *pant don't think I can do *pant that again." Glancing at Asta with a tired smile. "You can take it from here, right?"

"Leave the rest to me!" He confidently points his thumb over his chest.

Fuegoleon stole a glance at his young lioness before looking back at their enemy. "In the instant, you attack, for just a moment, the mana of the barrier thins in places. That's what I aimed for."

"That's so cool how you managed to notice it too!" Asta whisper-yelled at the red-haired girl.

"Sure~" She laughs half-heartedly. 'Honestly, I just got lucky.' She shudders at an image of her captain's fiery looks as if she missed the attack. 'I actually don't want to earn another lecture if I didn't hit that corpse.'

"Listen well, all of you!" Fuegoleon roared, gaining all younger members. "As long as you are Magic Knights, you will find yourself constantly pitted against powerful enemies and magic! But when that happens, if you gauge the ability calmly and maintain a bold fighting spirit, you will never lose! Is that clear?!"

"Yes, sir!" The shouts of Leopold and Noelle from a distance reached them.

"I-Impossible! My Number One was trounced.... D-Damn it! Damn it!"

"Rades, wasn't it?" The Crimson Lions' captain asks as he approaches the muttering rogue mage with his junior trailing near him. "Even if you possess extraordinary abilities and polish them to their fullest, without a righteous spirit, your deeds are nothing but violence! No one will acknowledge something like that!"

Kana clamp her ears upon her captain loud voice. 'So loud~'

The ash-blonde haired boy chuckles, knowing fully well what's playing on the girl's mind.

The loud voice of Leopold makes all of them look over the other duo who managed to take down their opponents with the help of each other not long after the fall of Number One.

"How'd you like that?! I made him evaporate with intense firepower!"

"Excellent! Well done!" Fuegoleon praised with a proud look on his face. "You are definitely a man worthy of leading this country!"

"Yes, sir!" Noelle and Leopold salutes.

The red-haired girl grimace, clamping her ears even more. "My body hurt, my head hurt, and now my ears~~."

"You have done well too!"

"Now you're just pushing it!" Irk marks appear on her forehead as she glares at her captain, who smiles and is proud of their actions.