CHAPTER 29

Over one of the library tables, hundreds of opened parchments and records sprawling around, each contains reports on attacks over villages around the kingdom

Over one of the library tables, hundreds of opened parchments and records sprawling around, each contains reports on attacks over villages around the kingdom. Still, none of them have any similarity to Kanazawa village.

Kana on the verge of pulling all the hair off her head from spending too much time searching for any clues that could help her find the culprits behind the attack.

"This is such a waste of time!" She angrily throws aside a recorded book. Leaning back over her chair, she pinches the bridge of her nose, feeling a throbbing headache.

William glances up from scrolling around some parchment, and his expression softens. He can feel the disappointment and anger feeling coming from her. He decided to help her by looking around, but not a single question answered after hours of looking around. "I'm sorry." He rolls the parchment and put it back into the box. "I wish I could help more."

The red-haired girl waves her hand around dismissingly. "No, it's fine. You already help a lot." But her voice was cold as if she close to losing herself once again.

The sounds of pit-pats with some swishing fill the silent room, and Muku appears with a book between his teeth.

Raising her eyebrows and narrow her eyes. She notices the book wasn't a records book. It has a brown hardcover with golden insignia on each corner. In the middle of the front cover written, 'The Tale of Elven: Race of Demonic Beings.'

Taking away from his jaw, Kana frown as she glances around the book. "Where do you find this?"

"Ku~" Muku excitedly spun around and sat as he points his mouth over the book then look at her.

"You want me to read this?"

The beaming look on his face answered her question.

Unnoticed by the two of them, another soul in the room's expression darken, but he keeps his mouth shut.

"I never heard of this book." Kana mutter opening it.

William leans forward, crossing his arms. "This book mostly passes around the nobles' families. Just some scary tale to scare the children so they won't misbehave."

"I see~" She hums, but her eyes skimming through the content of the story.

The Captain's jaws clench tightly, and the aura around him suddenly darkens, but the red-haired didn't seem to notice the change; only the young beast does.

Muku bares his teeth, warning the man as he senses that the one sitting in front of his companion is no longer the same person. Loud growls, finally snapping Kana out of her concentration.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Patting his head as she tries to calm the dragon who bared his teeth over William with his eyes, never leaving the man. "Muku, stop it."

The girl grows confused at his sudden change of attitude. Earlier, he didn't seem to mind the Captain of Golden Dawn's presence, and now he's watching him as if he's an enemy. "S—sorry about him." She apologizes as she glances back at William, who smiles at her, showing that Muku didn't threaten him. "I don't know why he—" She was cut off by Muku snapping his teeth at the man. "Stop it!"