Chapter 24: Trial Run

After having got out of the shower Lain went back downstairs to close up to finish last minute things before bed. As she put away the final dish back into its spot in the top cabinet, she could hear Kaila and Lauren giggling with one another from upstairs.

She followed the sound of their joy seeing them laying flat on their stomachs as Nina read out a story to them.

Looking closer at the front of the book, Lain noticed that it was one of Kaila's.

Apart of her was still partly surprised that Kaila picked out such a childish book on her own. With pages full of pictures and barely any words written on each page the book surely wasn't intended for her age, but that didn't stop the woman from buying it one bit.

Standing in the doorway she crossed her arms as her wife acted out each scene. Playing all the characters at once she was going all in for it.

Lain couldn't help but chuckle at the girls intense listening.

But in the middle of the story Lain laid her head against the wall as Natalia's conversation came back into her head. Sighing softly to herself she walked out of the room running her hands through her hair as she stood in the empty hallway contemplating with herself.

Going to take a look into each girls rooms Lain spotted a hoard of Aladdin bottle's in the corner of Kaila's room near her bed, while Lauren still had the bag of spare pacifier in hers.

"Do I?" She questioned herself as she walked nervously into each of their rooms grabbing hold of the items. With bottles and the bag of pacifiers in her hands, Lain felt her stomach turn as the girls laughter started to seem like a constant reminder of what could be.

Thinking about her own baby made her feel excited. Something about holding the items and hearing the girls laughter did something to the woman. She couldn't let the items go. She clutched them to her chest walking downstairs to avoid any unwanted attention.

"And with that they all lived happily ever after." Nina finished up with the girls.

Both of them clapped their hands applauding her acting skills. "Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all night." She bowed her head down toward them.

"Again!" Lauren shouted.

Nina chuckled as Kaila nodded her head in agreement with Lauren. "I read that book like three times already to you girls. Don't you want to do something else?" She questioned.

But to her surprise the two girls looked at one another before quickly turning back towards the woman. Both eagerly putting their hands under their chins waiting for the woman to start reading once again.

"How about a different book at least?" She asked internally hoping that she was not going to have to read the same book for the fourth time in a row.

But they shook their heads.

Sighing to herself, Nina mentally prepared herself to put on another show as she opened the book back to the first page.

"Once upon a time..." Nina began before she was saved as her wife returned upstairs clearing her throat from the doorframe, both of her hands were held behind her back.

With the girls being so invested in the book, neither of them even heard Lain return but Nina couldn't avoid the desperation in her wife's eyes to get their discussion with the girls over with.

"Actually girls," Nina shut the book as the two little girls on the bed confusingly looked towards one another with a frown. "We can finish our book another time. Lain and I have been meaning to talk to you about something."

My Life My RulesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara