Chapter 44: A New Friend

Happy as can be as she heard the timer on her phone go off, Nina turned to the quiet girl besides her as she already began to climb back into the woman's lap.

Wrapping her arms tightly around Kaila, Nina frowned seeing the red streaks on her cheeks.

"I'm so proud of you honey. I took that very well." She repeatedly pressed kisses along the girls head. "Can you look up at mama please?"

Turning her red eyes towards the woman Kaila quickly wiped her face against Nina's chest, wiping her tears away to see her more clearly. Just chuckling at her, Nina looked down at her softly. "Do you know why mommy had to give you a time out earlier?"

Kaila nodded sitting limp in Nina's lap.

"Why's that?" The woman asked.

"Cause I was mean to Faye." She mumbled around the object in her mouth.

"That's right honey. And is it right to be upset just because you lost a game?"

Kaila shook her head in response.

Smiling proudly, Nina held Kaila tighter as she laid the girls head against her chest softly. "You're right again sweetheart. Now if you ever feel upset like that again you talk to mommy or I about it. We can talk it out with you instead of it boiling up inside of you until you have another tantrum."

Nodding Kaila hiccuped as her sobs from earlier caught her breathe. Lifting the girl onto her hip, Nina walked back to the car grabbing their bag full of supplies for the girls. Pulling out a bottle filled with water, she carried Kaila over to a bench closer to the playground.

Hooking her finger onto the pacifier ring, the woman pulled the object away. Kaila's eyes started watering up again before she felt a similar texture fall into her mouth instead. "Drink that honey. It'll make you feel better." Nina said as she held the bottle for the girl to drink.

Closing her eyes, Kaila sucked onto the object feeling the cold liquid quench her thirst. Rubbing the girls back as she drank Nina couldn't take her eyes off the girl.

As Lain had been forced to go on the slide with Lauren for the hundredth time now, she caught sight of her wife and Kaila nearby. Seeing Nina put her thumb out to her as a sign of them moving in the right direction, Lain smiled.

"Ready?" She turned back around to Lauren as they got situated on the slide yet again.

Feeling Lauren nod against the front of her chest Lain hyped up their energy. "Hold on." She said over the top as she pushed off, sending the two of them down the slide.

Giggling the whole way down Lauren bounced at the bottom already beginning to run back to the top of the rather tall slide. "Again!" She squealed.

Holding her back to stretch Lain looked at the girl exhausted. "Go without me sweetheart. Mommy needs a break." She said walking towards her wife as Lauren nodded continuing to slide alone.

Sitting besides Nina, Lain looked down at Kaila contently drinking her water. "How was it?" She nervously asked.

"She took it well. She just got a little carried away in the moment was all. But she's perfect now. Aren't you sweet girl?" Nina smiled as she brushed her thumb against Kaila's cheek.

Seeing the girl nod with her eyes shut Lain was relived.

"Mama!" The women heard Faye call out to them. "Lookie!" She said proudly as she made the women watch her twirl on the swings after she twisted herself in the chains.

They laughed seeing her eyes roll around her head until they came back into focus. "Be careful." Nina shouted back to her making the girl close to her chest whine softly. "Oh I'm sorry honey." She apologized lowering her voice.