Chapter 39: Explain Yourself

As the sun began to set both Kaila and Faye had fallen fast asleep in the women's arms as their movie continued playing in front of them. But still there was no sign of Lauren. "Do you think she's coming down?" Nina asked her wife.

Lain shrugged.

They had hoped Lauren would have eventually found it within herself to join them downstairs, but at this rate, it seems that wasn't going to be the case tonight.

"Then let's get them tucked in already." Nina stood carrying Kaila who now had a pacifier in her mouth sucking peacefully on it. As she walked upstairs Nina couldn't take her eyes off the girl in her arms.

She was so small all day long and for once, Nina could see true joy in the girls eyes. When she played with them earlier while Lain was upstairs, she could hear and see the difference in the girls moods.

She wasn't hesitant to play. She wasn't hesitant to speak. She could tell the girl was living her best life for once.

Careful not to wake up the girl in her arms, Lain carried Faye up behind her wife. Taking both girls to their rooms, the women tucked them securely in their beds before pressing kisses on top of their heads.

Meeting outside in the hallway they quietly stared down the hall towards Lauren's shut bedroom door. Grabbing hold of each other's hands, the women walked over to her room.

Knocking on her door they waited nervously for a response. "Come in." Her frail voice called for them.

Walking in the women saw Lauren sitting on her bed rubbing her tired eyes. Something Lain noticed in particular was the missing journal from the girls hands. She smirked to herself assuming her talk with Lauren earlier had gone over well.

"Hey sweet pea. How are you holding up?" Nina said as she stayed at the edge of her bed.

"I feel better." Her voice didn't sound convincing one bit.

"We missed you tonight." Lain added.

"I-I'm sorry." She looked down playing with her lavender sheet.

Not wanting her to feel bad about it Lain shook her head. "Don't be. We were only watching movies anyway." She assured.

"Oh-" the small girl looked up from her seat. "C-can we w-watch one?" She asked of them.

"Of course we can watch one." Nina said with a smile. Holding her hand out she waited to see if Lauren was going to accept it.

They saw her bite her lip as she looked between Nina's hand and her lap. Finally Lauren built enough courage as she stood up and grabbed hold of Nina.

Leaving the room happier than when they entered, the women found themselves back downstairs to where the soft blanket was still laying on the couch.

Sandwiching the small girl between them, the couple flickered through a list of movies they had. "What do you want to watch?" Nina asked.

"Um...that one." She waited until she found one that caught your attention.

"Classic Little Mermaid it is." She announced pushing play on the movie.

While the couple kept their distance from the girl between them, they couldn't help but want to hold her close. Especially Nina.

The first half of the movie was spent in silence. The girls fixation was stuck on the singing mermaid and her friends, meanwhile, Lain and Nina's had been altering between the film and Lauren.

Seeing Lauren shift her gaze down towards Kaila's left behind empty bottle from earlier on the table besides the couch, Nina smirked. At first Lauren would only look over once and a while, but now she was looking back at it between every word the characters were saying.