Chapter 73: Double Trouble

With the morning sun graciously shining in through Faye's window, the little girl woke up full of energy. Rubbing her eyes, she jumped out of bed excited to see what the day had in store for her.

Eager to see the couple, Faye ran out of her room with a ray of energy beaming out behind her.

"Mommy? Mama?" She called sprinting into the women's bedroom. Seeing them still fast asleep, the little girl ran over to Lain first as she gave her a shake. "Mommy wake up." She called.

Removing the blanket from over Lain's face, the little girl froze seeing the puffiness to her eyes. She frowned being unaware of the serious discussion between the couple and brothers last night.

Putting the blanket back over Lain, the little girl went over to Nina's side. This time before she shook the woman with excitement, Faye cautiously approached. Learning her lesson from last time, she lowered the blanket seeing Nina knocked out cold too. The deep dark bags under her eyes seemed heavy enough to drag her eyes down.

While the little girl would've climbed into bed with the women until one of them woke, something else caught her attention.

Or rather someone.

With the house as silent as could be, the little girl heard a loud echo from downstairs as if the front door had opened and shut itself.

While her fear was heightened, her curiosity got the best of her. Deciding it was better to know for sure if her suspicions were correct, Faye dashed down the staircase while being as quiet as she could be.

Tip-toeing down one step at a time, Faye nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard as clear as day the loud slamming of another door. She covered her mouth instantly trying to muffle the sound of her horrified scream.

But as the air around grew silent yet again, the little girl warily peaked her head around the corner at the bottom of the stairs. Nervously looking around she could hear whispering coming from a nearby room.

Using the walls and furniture around to keep her presence a secret, she followed the sound of the noise until she ended up outside of the guest bedroom downstairs.

She exhaled deeply relieved to know it was just Nina's brothers returning inside the house and into the room. But what could be their reason for such a violent slam of the door earlier? She wondered deeply.

Sitting on the floor, Faye pressed her ear up against the door slowly as she focused inside to the conversation.

"I'm sorry Nelson, I didn't mean to slam it that hard!"

"They still could've heard you! It's bad enough we're already doing this behind their backs. The last thing I want is for Nina to find out what we're up too!" The younger brother exclaimed.

"They aren't going to, would you calm down. We got back before they even woke up. But I just thought of the perfect excuse too. If someone comes down in a few minutes because of the noise from I made from slamming the door we can just blame it on us being excited or something. They'd buy that without question."

"You'd better be right, Nick. We only have one chance to do this right. If we mess this up, then we've messed up big time. We have to play this smart...and not go slamming every door we go through!"

"Hey! This one was an accident, I didn't mean to shut the bedroom door so loud!"

"What about the front door then? Seemed pretty loud to me too?"

"That was a mistake, I forgot it was a push-in door and not a pull-out."

"What's that got to do with anything?"