Chapter 33: The Fault is Yours

During the long drive home, Nina and Lain were in fact correct that their girls were going to be a pain to deal with. If the couple got a flower for every time Kaila or Faye said "are we there yet?" or "I'm bored." they would have a large enough collection to own a florist shop.

Groaning Nina rubbed her temples as she kept her focus primarily on the road in front of them. With nothing but open land filled with trees and nature around them, the girls were growing tired of the same old backdrop.

"Mama I'm bored!" Faye whined for the hundredth time within the past ten minutes.

"Baby I know you're bored but mama's driving. Why don't you and Kaila play a game or something?" Nina suggested.

"But there's nothing to play!" Kaila dramatically threw her hands down on her laps as she slouched further down in her booster seat.

"I'm sure that's not true." Lain said before she gasped. Sneakily smirking as she turned to look back at them she asked. "Why don't you girls play the quiet game?" Lain suggested after noticing that Lauren was sat in her car seat fast asleep once again with her bottle dangling out of her mouth.

"But mommy that's not fun!" Faye said slightly agitated. She just wanted to move around and play something but her mommy's were being of no help.

Sighing Lain looked over to Kaila who was closest to Lauren. "Kaila do me a favor and grab Laur's bottle out of her mouth."

Frowning the girl carefully took the item before passing it over to Lain's waiting hand. "Thank you." She smiled. "And here put this in her mouth instead." She handed back a pacifier.

Replacing the object as instructed Lain praised the small girl.

"Mommy I wanna do something." Faye said looking to the woman as she wanted some of her attention as well.

"Oh don't worry honey. Mommy saved the most important task for you." She smirked seeing the excitement growing on the small girls face. "Mommy needs you to keep being the fun little girl you are and keep you girls back there entertained while I help mama get back home."

It wasn't long before Faye's face fell in anger. "That's not fun! I wanna do something important too." She pleaded with the woman.

"That is important. Keeping you girls happy and entertained is my main concern, and since I'm all the way up here in the front I can't do that. But you can." She smirked as the girl began to nod slowly just wanting to play already. "So do you think you can handle it?"

Looking back up determined at the woman Faye nodded. "I can do it!" She turned her attention to the only girl besides her. "Let's play thumb war Kaila!" She quickly thought of.

"W-war?" She stuttered. "D-does it hurt?" She asked concerned. But the little girl turned towards her mommy lost about Kaila's confusion. To her it was a simple game, but to Kaila the world of fun was just barely starting to unravel.

"No sweetheart, it doesn't hurt at all. Faye why don't you show Kaila how to play." Lain moderated.

Grabbing Kaila's hand abruptly, Faye got them both into position. "When I say go we try to tackle each other's thumb down with our own and whoever can keep the other persons thumb down for ten seconds first wins!" She explained all in one long breathe before gasping for air in the end.

Still as lost as ever Kaila stared blankly as the girl besides her began to cross her thumb over hers counting down to the start of their match. And as fast as her confusion came—it worsened. Startled by Faye's first attack, Kaila's thumb was pinned down in one easy sweep.

Feeling the pain of the pressure the other girl was putting on her, Kaila used her free hand to forcefully push Faye's thumb off of hers. "Hey!" The girl protested angrily yanking her hand away. "Mama, Kaila cheated!" She tattled.