Chapter 93: A Festive Distraction

As frustrating and angering as it was, several days had passed and the women still hadn't heard back from Nick, Nelson, or Natalia. Over a hundred missed calls and ignored text messages made the women furious.

However, while their days may have seemed longer thanks to their added stress the couple still wanted to enjoy the holiday season. Their girls were clearly starting to get more excited for this festive time of year as they began to play and singing Christmas songs loudly throughout the whole house so everyone would have the chance to hear it.

"We need to do something today." Lain told her wife with no room for disagreement as they sat together on their bed with their phones in their hands.

"Why?" Nina asked nose deep into her black screen waiting until she got some kind of response from anybody.

"Because of this." Lain said taking Nina's phone out of her hands and throwing it into her pocket.

"Hey! Lain I was using that!"

"This is exactly the reason why we need to get out babe. It's been days since we've heard anything from Nick, we need to stop staring at our phones waiting for him to get back to us. It's not healthy."

"But what if one of us gets a message from him later while we're out. Or a call for that matter. I don't want to miss that."

"Then we can answer it, but until then I'm putting both of our phones in my purse. We'll hear if we get any kind of notice."

Exhaling as she stood up Nina knew she had to agree, for her own sake. Besides as much as she didn't want to admit it—she knew Lain had a point. "What do you propose we do then?"

"I was thinking we could take the girls to get some Christmas things. It's almost time after all and we still haven't even decorated yet. I feel so behind schedule."

"The only reason you feel behind is because you always start decorating for Christmas in November."

"I know!" Lain said unfazed by her wife's snarky remark. "There's so much we need to do. Plus it's a good distraction from everything going on right now. Maybe this will make time go by faster and we'll get some kind of response from them sooner."

Rolling her eyes as she chuckled Nina agreed. "Alright, I suppose I could use a good distraction right now. I think if I looked at my phone for a minute longer I would've gone blind from how strained it made my eyes."

"Good! I'll tell the girls!" Lain said happily as she left to inform their girls of the exciting news.

While Lain helped all three of the girls get ready for their day, Nina was down packing their bags. By the time she finished, the rest of her family had arrived downstairs. "Mama! Mommy said we get to pick the biggest tree today!" Lauren came down squealing.

"Did she now?"

Nodding excitedly Lauren bounced on her toes. "I want it to be this tall." She giggled while pointing towards their high ceiling.

"When I said we could get a tall tree, I didn't mean we could get a giant one." Lain corrected as she bounced Kaila on her hip with Faye at her side.

"But giant trees are better."

"Do you think you and sissy's will be able to decorate the top of such a big tree Lauren?" Nina asked with a smirk.

"No but you help reach." She looked back at the mocha woman with her big eyes in a persuasive plead.

Caught off guard by her comeback, Nina just broke out into laughter. She tried to help her wife's case but Lauren was onto them. Throwing her hands up Nina grabbed Kaila and Faye from Lain as she walked away. "Have fun dealing with her babe." She wished her wife as she took her girls and bags to the car.