Chapter 65: Fight Outside

"Mom?!" Lain nearly did a spit take as she wiped the drink off her lips.

While Lain was in pure shock, seeing Nina's face was even more priceless. She looked as if she were waiting for someone to jump out from one of the many decorative plants to say they've been set up in an elaborate joke.

Except that sadly wasn't the case.

Standing at the edge of the table stood Lain's mother. While she had a lighter tan glow than her daughter, they shared the same height. With a smile on her face she couldn't have been more relieved to see Lain.

"It's nice to see you girls out." She said while looking at Nina. The woman closely inspected her secret daughter in law. "Although I didn't think that out of all places you'd come here?" She said as her eyebrow cocked up when she noticed their attire. "And dressed like that?"

"Oh this. We wanted to be comfortable tonight." Lain brushed off.

"Well in any case, I've been meaning to talk to you about—you know—what happened. I wanted to apologize for going off at you the way I did. I guess I just started to freak out when I thought Natalia meant something by her post."

"Mom it's okay seriously, don't-don't mention it." She meant with full sincerity.

"Still I feel bad. How about I get you and your friends some dessert?" She offered before scanning a left behind menu at their table for something that would be large enough for the four of them.

"No mom. It's alright, you don't have to get us anything. We were just leaving anyways, so if you excuse us." Lain tried to get out of the booth but her mother stopped her in her tracks.

"But you haven't even introduced me to your new friends yet." She wiggled her eyebrows as if waiting for good news.

As both women blushed the men just sat back watching the scene unfold not knowing whether or not to speak up. "It's not like that mom. Now please Nina and I really have to be getting home."

"Ah. So your still living with my daughter?" Lain's mother, Emma, turned to tell Nina disappointedly. "How much longer before you consider moving into your boyfriends place?" She asked gesturing towards James who had a cocky smile plastered on his face.

"He isn't my boyfriend Mrs. Meridian. This was just a one time dinner event." She said before attempting to leave but yet again Emma blocked her escape route.

"So you're still single and living out of my daughters gift."

Sighing Nina tried to keep her head clear from the growing pain that is her mother in law. "Something like that."

"Well neither of you are getting any younger here. And the sooner you find yourself a man, the sooner you can move out and my daughter can get her own life together. One where she's not having to worry about someone living in her home."

"Mom!" Lain stopped her. "That's enough. I don't have an issue living with Nina. She's one of the best roommates I've ever had."

While the dinner seemed enjoyable to them, the brothers were ready to hit the road. After all they had a long drive back to their 'home'. Being in the city always took a toll on them. They were ready to be back in their own space without any unwanted distractions.

Excusing themselves from the table the men were able to convince Emma to allow the couple out of their seats in order for them to be released as well.

As they said their goodbyes, the couple were more than happy to see them leave. However, the older brother turned to look back at them one last time before he walked away. Smirking with the biggest smile on his face he was chuckling to himself like a child. Clearing his throat he had one final, memorable, goodbye to say.