Chapter 23: Sudden Surprise

"The next time we go out for ice cream, remind me to take earmuffs." Nina laughed as she unlocked their house door letting the hyper girls zoom pass her into the house.

Giggling and laughing the two girls raced around the living room circling the couch while Nina rubbed her temples. "Babe I swear if I have to hear you complain one more time about the girls, I'm going to be the one needing headphones." Lain chuckled as she walked in.

Her wife gasped as she threw her hand to her chest.

"Oh don't be so surprised, I could go on and on about how loud your snoring is when we sleep but you don't hear me complaining now do you?" Lain teased. She smirked at her wife as she settled onto the living room couch watching happily as the girls ran by.

Still frozen in her wife's roast, Nina coughed trying to collect herself as she walked over.

Carefully maneuvering between the girls frantic movements, she joined her wife's side. They breathed deeply trying to relax but the constant laughter around them kept them on the edge of their seats. Last thing they wanted was for either girl to get in any pain from their fun.

But not wanting them to bottle up all their sugar energy, the women waited patiently for them to run off their ice creams. Eventually after a few minutes the girls slowed down slightly. It wasn't much longer after when the storm caught up with them.

Crashing down on the floor the girls were yawning and rubbing their eyes as night grew near. The women looked at one another smiling as the silence took over. Finally feeling their own energy coming back they were ready to tackle the night.

"Kaila. Lauren." Lain called making both girls tiredly turn their heads her direction. "Go get yourselves showered. It's getting late and I don't want you both to stay up late."

"We can sleep in our new beds?" Lauren yawned half asleep already as she groaned struggling to stand up.

Chuckling Nina stood up picking the girl up off the floor, while Kaila who was still just as tired managed to stand on her own. "We wouldn't have gotten you those bedsheets if you weren't going to use them." She reminded as she laughed.

Taking Kaila by the hand while carrying Lauren on her hip, Nina lead the girls upstairs while her wife stayed seated scrolling through her phone.

As her wife and girls left, Lain looked through the many pictures of Faye that Nina's mother had sent her. The girl looked happy and well, but Lain knew her girl better than that. Under her shining smile and glee-filled eyes her baby was longing to be home.

She could see the plead in her eyes that she wanted to be back in her own room with the women at her sides. Knowing her girl well, Lain knew that Faye enjoyed spending time with Nina's mother.

With the woman being aware of their situation, Faye was always welcomed and cared for graciously. There was never a moment of hesitation with her. She was the most open woman Lain had met and it was part of the reason she loved her for it. She was the most supportive person of her relationship with her wife as the woman even helped when it came time to planning their engagement party.

But seeing that her read receipt went through it wasn't much longer after when her mother-in-law started to call her phone. Cursing herself for constantly forgetting to turn that feature off, Lain turned up her energy as she pressed the green flashing button on her phone.

"Hey Natalia." She said happily into the phone.

"Lain how many times do I have to tell you, call me mom. Natalia is so formal." She could hear the woman smiling through the screen.