Chapter 26: Stuck

Once Lauren woke up and breakfast finished cooking, everyone gathered at the table. Nina's mother, Natalia, and Faye ate their food without being told but Lauren and Kaila on the other hand found their food unappetizing.

Despite the fact that Lain and Nina knew for certainty that the girls enjoyed their meal, the girls just lost their appetites.

"Kaila you need to eat." The small girl heard the tan woman say from besides her at the kitchen table.

Not saying anything, Kaila frowned as she dragged her fork across the sectioned off plate. Moving the food around in small chunks at a time she hoped the women would be fooled by her innocent trick.

She thought she had gotten rid of their suspicion of her as they hadn't checked on her for a few minutes, however, it was only a facade. Once Nina and her mother had gotten deep into a conversation of their own, Lain had leaned over to the girl. "Eat up. It's going to get cold."

Giggling to herself. Lauren had been doing the exact same as Kaila but hadn't been told once to eat her food. Thinking she was sneakier and more clever she celebrated with a chuckle. But her excitement was her downfall as Lain shot her head in the girls direction.

"You too Lauren. Don't think I've forgotten about you." Lain said raising her eyebrow. "You need to eat your food too."

Blushing in embarrassment, Lauren looked in her lap as she placed her fork down on the edge of her plate.

"Mommy do train!" Faye suggested around a mouth full of pancakes as she bounced in her chair happy to be back home after too long. "That's fun!"

Smiling at the girls comment Lain looked between the girls. They were both so hesitant to do anything. And just when they started breaking down their barriers, it seems as though they all came back as new faces intruded their safe place.

"I can help!" Faye said as she stabbed a piece of Lauren's cut up pancake, seeing as she was seated besides her, and blew raspberries from her lips as she swerved the fork towards Lauren.

In response to the girl, Lauren scooted as far back in her seat as she could turning her head away from the fork approaching her mouth.

Laughing at the girls interaction Lain found the entire event amusing. "Alright Faye that's enough. Lauren can feed herself. Just focus on eating your food so you can go play after."

"Can they come?"

"We'll see baby." Nodding in understanding Faye retracted her fork gobbling up the food herself before proceeding to bother Nina as she spoke to her mother.

Giving the girls one last chance, Lain waited another ten minutes. And when neither girl took even a small bite of their food she gave up. Pulling both of their chairs close so she was sandwiched in between them, she stabbed the food on their forks.

"Since you girls won't eat on your own, I'm going to feed you." She brought the soft breakfast up to their lips but they shook their heads turning away. Sighing Lain looked sternly at the girls. Something she hadn't done yet.

But Faye knew what was happening.

Lain had on the look she only uses when she means business. And once she's like that, there was no turning back.

"You girls can sit here all day if you'd like. But you're not leaving until your food is eaten. Now I've given you the option to feed yourselves or I would feed you, and you girls still haven't touched a single piece yet. So either let me feed you, or sit here and pout until you decide it's time to eat up."

Whining in frustration Kaila looked at her food upsettingly. "Can I do it?" She asked with a pouty lip but to her surprise the woman shook her head.