Chapter 58: Line Troubles

While Nina took Kaila to buckle her in their car, Lain was busy watching the others in the backyard. After having opened the girls gifts, both Kaila and Lauren received matching stuffed bears with different colored hearts on them while Faye received the jackpot.

Receiving a slip and slide that connected to the water hose outside, the two girls were in their swim suits ready to take the water on. While there was a nice breeze that ran through the yard, the beaming sun kept them nice and toasty.

"Okay girls, mama and I will be back later." Lain said as she pressed kisses on top of Faye and Lauren's heads. "Be good for Grammy while we're gone."

Nodding as they continued playing the girls were more excited about the current game Natalia had gifted them.

"Thanks again for coming to watch them mom." The woman turned to Natalia who was making herself comfortable on the patio outside.

"Don't mention it Lain. I could use the change of scenery anyways. It was starting to get stuffy in my office." She chuckled laying out paperwork on the small table besides her.

"Are you sure you want the girls to play with water while you deal with papers?"

"It'll be fine. The water will stay over there with the girls."

"Alright. If you say so." Lain scratched the back of her neck worried that the girls would somehow manage to find a way to bring the water towards Natalia and ruin her work.

"Stop worrying about me already. You and Nina have your day with Kaila ahead of you. And I'm sorry I wasn't available yesterday to watch the girls for you. You know how work gets sometimes."

As Lain nodded her head in complete understanding Natalia continued on. "I wish I had been free. I would love to spend some quality time with Kaila as well."

"Maybe another time mom. After all, we've still got to take Lauren out on our date with her tomorrow. If your free then you know we are more than happy for you to stop by."

"I'll be sure to clear my schedule for tomorrow then." Smiling as Lain waved one last time to Faye and Lauren, Natalia cleared her throat roughly. "And Lain..."

The woman faced her. "You know I love you like my own. Nina told me that your mom was getting on your case because of my mistake. Don't let Emma get your worries up. If worst comes to be, just know you'll always have a mom in your life. Blood or not." She sweetly smiled as Lain walked over to give her a warm hug.

"Thank you." She whispered into the older woman's ear. Her grip on Natalia was firm. The woman had always been like a second mother to her—always caring and welcoming—and was never one to be opposed to the way they chose to live their lives.

"Now get going before I start crying. You know how I get when situations start getting sentimental." Natalia chuckled as a single tear threatened to fall.

Laughing together one last time, the women separated as Lain returned out towards their car where Nina was already waiting in the drivers seat with Kaila strapped in the back.

"Finally!" The woman sighed as she breathed out heavily while Lain got into the car. "Kaila and I were starting to worry you bailed on us."

"As if you could leave me behind."

"And why wouldn't I?" Nina teased raising her eyebrow.

Smirking playfully Lain pulled out her wallet from her purse. "Because I was the one paying for this trip."

"Ooh!" Kaila giggled as she clapped her hands pointing at Nina's expression of defeat. "Burn!"

"Shush you!" Nina fired back as Kaila erupted into louder laughter. As she turned back to look at her wife, Lain stared back with a cocked eyebrow and evil smirk plastered on her face.