Chapter 87: Reflection

The women must have lost track of time because before they knew it the sun was sitting just above the nearby mountains, and yet they were still roaming around the theme park having fun with their girls. There couldn't have been a bigger smile on all of their faces.

Lauren's arms were stuffed with different prizes she had won.

Faye held onto her head as the last ride she had gone on with Nina had her eyes rolling around by the time it ended.

And Kaila was beyond full as she ate a variety of new foods, but that wasn't going to stop her from eating anything else.

Meanwhile, Lain and Nina were both just thrilled that everyone was having a good time. Even as the park got more crowded and lines started to fill, they had expected some kind of reaction from Kaila, but seeing as she didn't mind anyone else any attention the women were pleasantly surprised.

However, all good things must come to an end as the small family closed off they day by watching a fireworks show that the park put on every night. Finding a nice, less populated, area the women and girls sat on a bench curled with one another as they watched the magic light show in the sky.

Every time a firecracker popped in the air, Lauren and Kaila were surprised to hear such a loud boom all the way from the bench. They had anticipated there to be no sound, but the women kept them safe as they held onto them tighter.

When their show sadly came to an end and everyone was walking back to their car, Lain was the first to notice something off about Faye. The girl still seemed as happy as ever with her grin, but that usual carefree shimmer in her eyes faded away. "Everything alright over here?" The woman asked as she grabbed ahold of Faye's hand while Nina held the others several feet ahead of them.

"Yeah, everything is perfectly fine." The girl said.

"What? Was it too much fun today that you had to come out to process it all?" Lain chuckled as the girl in her hands blushed and shook her head.

"The noises." She mumbled as flashbacks came and hit her hard wiping the forced grin from her face.

Sighing Lain knew exactly what her little girl was referencing. "Those fireworks were pretty loud weren't they? But they're not going to hurt you. I promise." Frowning she wrapped her arm around Faye's waist as she pulled the girl in close. "It was only a show, you're going to be okay. Mama and I thought you got over that?"

But Faye shook her head.

The past was too hard to forget despite her desperate attempts to. Before Faye had a chance to spiral down a rabbit hole of horror induced thoughts, the girls grin returned when she felt Lain kiss her cheek.

"Don't think about it. I've got you." Lain assured as Faye relaxed into the woman's side trying to focus on the girls skipping with the woman ahead of them instead.

Casually talking while they walked back into the parking lot. Faye couldn't help but chuckle when she overheard Kaila and Lauren begging Nina to let them go back and play in the park. "Are we normally that annoying?" She asked the woman at her side.

But Lain shook her head with a playful smirk. "Nope. Usually you're all worst...luckily for us though, you aren't the one whining right now."

"Hey!" She shouted pushing the woman's arm away from her waist. "I'm not annoying." She complained.

"You're whining right now aren't you?"

Standing like a frozen deer in headlights Faye crossed her arms as Lain laughed loudly. "Still a whiny girl even out of your headspace."