Chapter 11: First Stop

Sitting in the backseat of the car Kaila and Lauren were both staring intensely out the windows both keeping track of where they were and what was around them.

While they may not know exactly where they are, the two girls were surely making sure they knew what was around them at all times. Not wanting to end up back at someplace like the facility, they were wary.

As the two girls in the back kept their guards on high alert, the two women in the front couldn't have been more relaxed. As Nina drove with one hand, she used her other to reach over the center piece and grab her wife's hand.

They exchanged a smile before turning their music down. Looking in the rear view mirror Nina noticed the worried girls faces. Coming to a stop at an intersection, Nina turned her glaze away from the road momentarily to motion for her wife to check on the girls.

And that's exactly what she did.

Lain had turned her head looking at both girls with their foreheads practically against the windows as they awed at the outside world like it was a whole new planet.

Clearing her throat she grabbed their attention. "We're almost at our first stop." She noted. "And since our second stop is another hour away we're not going to make you girls get out of the car. We just need to know if you like chicken?" She raised an eyebrow as she asked.

Just nodding to her question, both girls seemed to grow more intrigued by their first stop as they felt their still empty stomachs getting to them.

Waiting patiently they watched as the mocha woman pulled up to a fast food chain. The girls were nearly drooling as their eyes lost track of everything else as they fixated themselves on the brightly lit up menu. To top things off the car stopped perfectly in front of the menu giving them the best view of it.

Tuning out all of their other senses for only what seemed to be an instant, they felt betrayed when they felt the car begin to move all of a sudden.

Not having gotten anything in that moment Kaila wanted to protest but no matter how hard she wanted to say something her voice wasn't coming out.

Just a puff of air escaped Kaila's throat. However, Lauren wasn't as lucky. With her stomach growling much more than Kaila's throughout the entire car ride, her whine was much more noticeable.

Both women looked in the back of the car concerned. "Lauren, are you okay?" Nina asked with furrowed brows.

Nodding her head quickly she looked down frightened as she saw Lain reaching her hand into the backseat. Bracing herself for a hard hit she tensed up. But the impact was much softer than she had anticipated.

Instead of getting a slap on the leg, the woman had placed her hand down securely on the girls knee. While it was nerve wrecking at first the girl felt the tense squeezing of her chest loosening up.

"Lauren, honey, calm down. What's the matter?" Lain asked calmly as she gave the girls knee a small rub.

The girl tried to avoid the question by avoiding all visual contact with the woman but from behind her hair the tan woman noticed Lauren's eyes still glued to the menu they were about to pass. "You're hungry aren't you?"

She shook her head fearful that she would use her hunger against her.

But as if either woman was going to believe in her answer. "Don't you girls worry. I made sure to order you both something good." Nina said sending both pairs of wide eyes her way.

The women chuckled from the front before pulling around the building where a line of cars waited for their turn at a window up ahead. "Didn't you girls just hear me ordering our food?" Nina asked confused how the girls didn't hear the woman placing their long order,

But still enough they watched as Kaila and Lauren shook their heads.

"Well you're getting food so don't worry. We've just got to wait for our turn to pick it up." She told them.

Feeling just a tad more confident than before by the way the woman had comforted her earlier, Lauren raised her small hand up slowly.

Lain laughed quietly to herself. Turning herself completely so she could address both girls she said, "you girls can talk. You don't have to raise your hands or sit silently the entire ride."

"Ooh we've still got an hour after this, how about we play ask me as many questions as you like game." Nina suggested as she rolled the car up slowly as the line moved.

"That's a perfect idea babe, we can all talk about this as we eat lunch." Her wife smiled as both girls gulped not nearly as excited as the women. But as Lain turned her attention to Lauren alone she finally addressed her issue. "Why'd you raise your hand earlier, Laur?"

"C-can I have m-milk?" She asked innocently. One of her all time favorite drinks was milk, and now that she was finally out her craving for the white liquid was intensifying.

"Of course you can." Nina smiled.

Lauren wiggled in her seat in excitement as the mocha woman turned towards Kaila who had kept quiet as usual. "Kaila, do you want anything special?" She asked.

The girl figured if Lauren could have a special treat then maybe, just maybe, the women would allow her to get one as well. Playing with her fingertips anxiously she remembered something off the menu that had been on her mind since she'd seen it.

"I-ice cream?" She asked with a timid voice.

"I'm sorry Kay," Nina already began sending Kaila down into her own broken mind to cry internally until she couldn't feel the pain any longer. But something Kaila hadn't considered was how apparent her discomfort was on her face.

Watching as the girls face started to drop the women were quick to rush into action.

"Kaila I didn't say no because you're not allowed to have it." Nina assured as the girl continued staring down at the lightly colored shoes the women had helped her put on earlier. Sighing Nina turned towards Lain. "Should we just tell them?"

Nodding the woman turned back to the upset girl. "Alright, well we didn't want to tell you girls about any of our plans today because we wanted you to be surprised, but if you really must know, we were planning to take you girls out for ice cream tonight. After we finished everything else, we wanted to take you to get ice cream and celebrate."

Now Kaila was paying attention. "I told you no Kay because I don't want to spoil your appetite for it later." Nina explained as the girl nodded this time understanding. "So is there anything else that you want to get?" She checked but the girls shook her head.

Her appetite at the moment only consisted of whatever food she was given at the moment and ice cream. Even though she would have to wait to receive her treat, she knew it was going to be worth it.

With two happy troopers in the back the four of them finally made it to the window. After paying for their meals, Nina was handed everyone's food. Pulling off to the side she distributed them accordingly.

Handing the two girls in the back the same meal as hers but in smaller boxes, Nina was amused to watch the girls tentatively enjoy their first bites.

"What do you girls think?" Lain asked.

"It's yummy!" Lauren said with more energy than the women had seen before. The way her eyes lit up as she chugged down the white liquid in a small bottle, was contagious as it brought everyone else's spirits as well.

Kaila couldn't help but release a soft giggle mainly to herself as Lauren gulped her final sip of her treat. As the girl put her bottle down, it gave clear view to the rest of the car of her proud milkstache.

Feeling like their day was heading in the right direction, Nina began to drive once again. Eating her food from out of her lap, the women finally began to slowly bring the girls out of their shells.
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off