Chapter 68: Presents

Outside in the backyard Nina, Faye, and Lauren had a large banner hung with confetti sprinkled all over the grassy patch where their red and white checkered blanket laid with a basket on it.

Noticing Lain looking out from the door, Faye alerted Lauren and Nina. "Mommy's here!" She shouted making the other two stop in their decorating tracks as they turned to face the woman with surprised expressions.

"Lain, uh, what're you doing downstairs so soon?" Nina asked trying to cover up the obvious decorations.

"I heard noises..." the woman said still taken away by the decorations.

"Kaila?!" Lauren looked at the little girl guiltily sitting on the woman's hip. "You didn't distract mommy long enough."

"Sorry..." the little girl hung her head down.

"Lauren, be nice. Kaila did her part for long enough. See we put everything up already. Come here girls, let's get this started." Nina called the two girls over to her. "Ready?" She asked her girls as she patted her thighs as a drumroll. Getting the all clear from her girls, she stopped. "Surprise!" They all shouted together.

"You guys did all of this for me?!" Lain gasped as she stepped outside with Kaila still on her waist.

Shutting the door behind her Kaila wiggled out of the woman's grasp as Nina came over and grabbed her wife's hands. "The girls knew you weren't feeling too well and they wanted to do something that would cheer you up." Nina told her. "So we may have set up a few distractions to keep you busy while we prepared this."

Lain felt like face palming herself for not realizing that Kaila was merely pretending to be sick the entire time. But nonetheless, she laughed it off as she took in the sight around her.

"Look mommy we made pictures!" Lauren ran over with a picture in her hand.

Seeing what looked to be a red point on one edge of the paper Lain raised a curious brow. It wasn't long after when Faye and Kaila ran over with theirs. Similarly to Lauren's, the other girls pictures had parts of a red lump on their sheets.

"What is it?" She asked them.

Giggling the girls grabbed their papers back from the woman. Placing them on the ground in a specific order, Faye and Kaila's red lumps now turned into the top groves of a heart while Lauren's point was the bottom tip of it. Seeing the teamwork that went into their drawing warmed Lain's heart.

"I love it." She smiled grabbing all three of them and holding them close.

"That wasn't the only thing the girls made." Nina said from underneath the banner hung up by the surrounding trees.

Taking a look at the long floating sheet of paper Lain read it aloud. "Numbr On Famly." Despite a few spelling errors, seeing it made the woman ten thousand times happier.

"Do you like it?" Faye asked with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Do I like it?" Lain repeated. "I love it!"

"I hope you do. Oh and before I forget, the girls spent all last night making these for you." Nina opened the woven basket on the blanket and pulled out three folded sheets of paper. Passing them over to her wife, Lain was nearly in tears as she read them.

On the front of all the cards had pictures the girls each drew for the woman. While the outside was nice to look at, inside held the main event. Faye, Lauren, and Kaila each wrote Lain a get well soon card. From the different spelling errors to scribbles, Lain still felt each of their worries for her.

Holding them close to her heart she let tears of happiness fall out. "Thank you girls." She told them.

"Mama can we show mommy now?!" Kaila jumped around the basket eagerly wanting to take out the rest of the contents within.