Chapter 89: No Take Backs

"I can't believe this." Lain said overwhelmed with disgust and anger fuming out of her ears. Tears were rolling down her eyes as she stared ahead out the open window. The warm sunshine that beamed into the room wasn't enough to help the chills running down the woman's back.

Shaking her head Lain turned to her wife seeing her eyes still glued to the pages of Lauren's journal. "Babe?" Lain called for her but there was no response.

Her wife's face seemed distant. There wasn't an ounce of emotion on the woman.

"Babe?" Lain was barely able to say out loud as her voice cracked every time her eyes merely glanced over Lauren's journal. She was afraid to get another glimpse an entry.

Swallowing down her coming tears, Nina hiccuped as she turned to face her wife's red swollen eyes. "How could anybody do such horrible things?" She said with such a strained voice that she was almost unrecognizable.

"I don't know." Lain threw her hands up into air before they came slamming back down onto her thighs. "These monsters clearly. Ugh! I can't believe you made a deal where we went out to eat with them! We ate with the men who hurt our girls and did nothing about it. They walked out cleanly while we had to deal with the repercussions of that night."

Running her hands through her curly hair Nina sighed. "I know. I know babe. I messed up big time okay. How was I suppose to know what was going to happen that night with your mother though? I didn't know she was going to be there. Besides I thought I was doing what was best for my family."

"Doing what's best for our family would've been to turn those assholes in! And instead we let them leave." Lain had to pause and breathe before she would've gotten worked up over a new topic that she knew both her and Nina didn't need to be reminded of. "Look Nina, I'm sorry. I know you meant well. I just...I want justice for them. I want something to happen to those guys for everything that they did. I want them to suffer more than they made our girls."

"I do too. I want them to feel just how much it hurts to be in those girls positions. I wish things would've went differently, Lain. You have no idea how much I wish it was. I swear if I could change things I would."

"I know you do babe." Lain exhaled sharply. "I still can't believe all the things Lauren said happened to them though."

Nodding as she agreed Nina's fist bawled up as she looked down at the last entry they had left off at. "I can't believe she said they were beaten and whipped on a daily basis just because they'd have to use the bathroom. How inhuman do you have to be to not have the simple decency to let someone who's already in the worst possible place use the bathroom without some kind of punishment. It's sickening!"

Feeling choked up by the tears surfacing Lain couldn't bare to hear her wife speak like that. It was awful having to read Lauren's journal the first time around, but being reminded of the contents within for a second time was just revolting.

"They were only kids too when they got stuck in there! Who does that?! My poor babies. I don't know how they survived in there for so long." Nina dropped her head as she frustratedly slammed Lauren's book shut and threw it behind her on the bed.

"We didn't."

The women were surprised to hear as they threw their heads towards the doorway. Standing there they spotted both Faye and Kaila. Their oldest held onto Kaila's arm trying to tug her away from the couple, but downstairs Kaila got impatient.

Wanting the women desperately she ran away from Faye but hearing the women crying about her past put Kaila right back into reality. Both girls had froze as they just listened into the painful conversation that fueled Lauren's tears downstairs.