Chapter 78: Bird Calling

"Pst!" Nick scratched the back of his head from the dinning room as he ate his dinner besides his sister-in-law as a soft noise echoed out from the next room.

Turning back and seeing nobody Nick turned to resume his meal with Lain.

Nina, Nelson, and the three girls had already finished their meals leaving them all alone. Well nearly. "Pst!" Nick heard again. It was almost as if the noise was following a pattern as there was nothing behind him.

"Are you alright?" Lain asked looking at him confused while she peacefully ate her food with no distractions.

"Yeah I'm fine. I think there's a bug flying around my ear or something." He excused. "Anyways what were you saying again?"

As Lain got back into her conversation with Nickolas, Nelson was internally screaming as he slammed his head silently against the wall besides him. "Really Nick!" He shouted inside his head.

Dragging down the dread on his face, Nelson was getting ready to call for his brother again.

Getting ready to make a more obvious and louder sound than before, the man sucked down a large waft of air.

He readied himself when out of nowhere Kaila had appeared behind him. "What you doing?" She asked sweetly looking at the man innocently.

Putting his finger up to his lips, Nelson tried shushing the little girl at his side before she could give away his hiding place.

But rather than silencing the girl. Kaila tilted her head confused seeing the silly faces he was pulling as he rushed to silence her. She couldn't help but giggle when his flushed face ended up looking like some kind of pufferfish.

"Kaila no! Stop laughing!" Nelson lightly scolded out of fear for himself but in doing so he had upset the poor girl just coming down to have fun. Turning her giggles into light whines, her alert made Nelson panic so much more.

Picking the small girl up and placing her onto his hip, he remembered seeing countless times the way Nina and Lain had calmed the poor girl down every time she cried. Swaying her side to side as he rubbed circles onto her back, Kaila's whines indeed softened but not enough.

Still whimpering as she wiped the shallow tears from her eyes, Nelson cringed when he heard from across the wall. "Kaila?" Lain had asked from the other room. "Are you down here sweet pea?"

There was silence for a brief moment. Nelson nearly celebrated in his head. He was thankful Kaila hadn't said anything back. But he was quick to celebrate.

"Mommy." The little girl eventually whined in Nelson's hold.

Hearing footsteps approaching them, Nelson rushed as he sat on the couch in the living room acting as if he had been there the whole time. Throwing his feet onto the seat and sitting Kaila on his lap, the man cradled the girl in disguise.

"Kaila are you alright?" Lain asked as she turned the corner. "Oh! Nelson, I didn't know you were down here." She gasped seeing the brother.

"Oh yeah..." he awkwardly laughed it off. "I came down a while ago to...rest! But this little one came down upset so I was just trying to calm her down. You can go back and finish up your dinner if you'd like. I know you spent a while preparing it for us."

While Lain appreciated the offer she checked the dreadful look on her little girls face before deciding anything. "It's alright. I'll take it from here." She said opening her arms towards him.

He gulped when Kaila extending her arms back out. Nelson scrunched his face up as he passed the sulking girl over hoping that she wouldn't say anything.