Chapter 61: Karma

As the night got older none of the girls nor women could sleep a wink. Huddled together in the couples bedroom upstairs with the door locked it gave them some security.

Even after multiple offers, Natalia refused to sleep on the large bed with the family. She didn't want to take space away from the girls who desperately needed some comfort. Using a spare mattress instead with extra blankets Natalia had her own bed on the floor.

With a cartoon playing to fill in the empty noise of the room the couple laid on the bed holding onto their little girls besides them.

While Kaila laid in the center of the bed, Faye and Lauren laid on the outer sections. All three girls desperately clinging onto Lain and Nina.

Nobody spoke a word since the incident.

After washing up for the night their only focus was the cartoon that lowered the high tension in the room. As the couple tried to encourage their girls to sleep, Kaila and Lauren were drinking bottles of warm milk while Faye had hers in a sippy cup.

Hours upon hours passed and still everyone was wide awake. Even after their milk the girls couldn't stop thinking about the terrifying situation. Especially Lauren and Faye.

Practically laying on top of Lain, Lauren laid her head against the woman's chest listening to the rhythmic beating of her heart. There was nothing else that she wanted to hear. Feeling Lain breathing at a steady pace kept the girl in alignment. Copying her breathing pattern, Lauren kept herself calm.

Meanwhile, Faye was sat besides Nina snuggled tightly into the woman's side. With her head against the woman's shoulder, Faye couldn't even focus on the characters on the screen. In her head all she saw was the faces of the intruders.

Strong and defined, their facial features were hard to forget. She cursed herself for spending all that time staring at them in fear instead of acting in defense.

She felt helpless unable to protect, not only herself, but the little girl she was suppose to help Natalia watch. In defeat she couldn't bring herself to look up. Her eyes laid down in her lap as she ran through the scenario a thousand times over. All playing out the same way.

She was stuck on the floor terrified as she watched the people who broke into their home approach her with no resistance.

Yet while the girls had an uneasy heart, the women couldn't even feel theirs. Feeling broken by the scene they blamed themselves for their absence. While it was all fun and games, they cursed their outing with Kaila. They loved their little girl to pieces, but by leaving their other girls all alone they failed their duties to keep them all safe.

Lain had a hard time wrapping her head around the situation, but Nina had the worst of it all. Not only did she put her girls at risk—but she put her mother's life on the line as well. Natalia may be able to put up a decent fight, but with her older age came a higher chance of a fatal injury. One Nina couldn't be able to live with herself if it occurred.

The night went on and so did their minds. Still nobody said a word even as they noticed the sun beginning to rise outside their bedroom window.

Thankfully, with the suns presence the three girls eventually found themselves asleep. With the uncertainty that the darkness provided no longer a threat, they felt safe to shut their tired eyes.

Even Natalia managed to finally get more sleep. Up til now she had managed to get an hour or so of shut eye. But every little noise that the house made forced her awake.

Checking outside to see the sun rising over the tall trees in their backyard, Lain finally spoke for the first time all night long. "Do you think they'll come back?" She whispered as she asked her wife.