Chapter 83: Remember This

Having to deal with the girls all day long, Nina was running back and forth trying to stop arguments from occurring left and right, as well as, having to balance time alone for herself to recollect her thoughts.

That day was long and hard. While she had taken care of the girls alone before, she couldn't remember having such a hard time like today.

She could always count on finding a gleam of hope in her wife's eyes when she'd stop by to check on her. That little spark of joy that she used to see how much longer her wife would be in isolation for. But that clue couldn't be found.

At least Nina couldn't find it anyway.

Every time she had gone to check on her wife, Nina would stop and just stare into Lain's eyes. Mainly from the charming enchantment they held, but also for her quest to find her twinkle as well. Nina wanted to see if Lain would be feeling well soon, but it was just empty.

Her eyes seemed hallow and dull. Behind the dark surface layer, laid hidden a cursed forest surrounded by the thickest of fogs. There was no way Nina was going to be seeing any sign of light any time soon.

But finally as her day was coming to its ends and all the girls had finished eating dinner and washing up, she put them all to bed. Each girl laid in their own rooms practically sleeping by the time their heads hit their pillows.

Trying to keep their curious heads entertained and kept away from the thought of Lain's absence, Nina ensured the girls were always doing something. Whether it be from playing outside to simply coloring in their books, she didn't want there to be any room for unnecessary questioning.

And with her girls fast asleep, the woman tiredly stood in the quiet hallway looking at each of her girls doors.

In her mind she was trying to think who she was going to be sharing beds with tonight. But in her hunt, her eyes wandered down the hall to where her wooden door seemed to rust.

Sitting untouched for most of the evening, the woman couldn't help but feel a tether that was wrapped around her waist guide her towards the door. She tried to resist the temptation to twist the knob that now stood right in front of her, but her hand seemed to have a mind of its own.

Before she knew it, the door had swung wide open quietly as soft croaks from the wood echoed out.

'Stop!' She screamed internally as the strings attached to her legs led her within the dark room.

Without the sun to shine through the shut window, the room was even darker before. The only light that was present in the room was the small sliver of light from the hallway that shined in through the door.

There seemed to be a mountain on top of her bed. Covered in layers of blankets, Lain laid with the pressure of all the sheets on top of her comfortably. At least, Nina hoped she was comfortable like that.

"Babe?" She called softly eagerly wanting a response.

Waiting a few seconds as she crept closer, Nina could hear a sniffle come out from underneath the tower of blankets built on top of her wife. "Lain? Can we talk?" She asked while taking layer by layer off the woman trying to shield herself from the world.

It wasn't much, but Nina heard a small grunt. She recognized it wasn't one of needing space or displeasure, instead it was one when she was too tired or busy to speak. By the time Nina got down to the bottom layer, she found her wife's face barely high enough for air to get through to her lungs.

Seeing the dark circles under Lain's eyes was frightening. She looked as if she could hold cities by the size of them. The sight alone was enough to make Nina feel drowsy. She could feel the same drained energy her wife felt.