Chapter 72: Mood Shifts

As everyone finished dinner, the three girls excitedly looked towards the couple with eager eyes. "Ice cream!" Lauren shouted ready for their treat.

"Ice cream?" Nelson asked confused as he was walking back from the kitchen with plates of pie in his hands.

But all three girls shook their heads. "Mama and mommy said we can have ice cream." Faye explained.

Chuckling as they came in, Lain and Nina were already carrying three small bowls of the delicious cold treat for the girls. "Here. Don't make a mess now." Nina said as they placed their dessert on the table.

"Pie?" Kaila asked as she pointed towards the plates Nelson was setting in front of the couples and brothers seats.

"You have ice cream already honey. Maybe another time." Lain said.

"Want both." She whined lightly hitting the table.

"Kaila, listen to mommy. She said you can have pie another time. Right now just eat your ice cream."

The little girl crossed her arms as the other girls besides her were too far into eating their treat to notice the girls dilemma. "If you don't start eating your ice cream, I'll take it away from you and eat it all up myself." Nina playfully said as she pressed a kiss onto Kaila's head before sitting down next to her.

But when the girl still refused her treat, Nina sighed grabbing her spoon and lifted some of the ice cream towards the little girls mouth. Despite the fact that she turned away from the offer, seeing Nina swaying the spoon towards her mouth made Kaila giggle.

And eventually she opened up allowing the woman to feed her.

"That's better." Nina hummed in relief.

"This is good Nelson. Did you make it yourself?" Nickolas asked from besides his brother with pie in his mouth.

"Yup, nothing beats homemade food."

"Does being a good cook just run in the family?" Lain laughed.

"Definitely not. Have you tried Nick's food? Taste like he gets his ingredients from the trash and he always manages to burn everything." Both Nina and Nelson bursted into laughter. Even the three girls who were still happily eating their treat giggled as the man in the spotlight blushed.

He knew he wasn't winning this argument. "Let's just say the kitchen and I don't get along very well."

A few minutes later and nearly everyone had finished their pies and ice cream. But of course with a little bit pie left on Lain's plate, the little girl sitting besides Nina hadn't forgotten her quest for pie. "Mommy." Kaila called.

"What is it?"

"Have some?" She pointed to the left overs on the woman's plate.

"Kaila we talked about this already. No pie-"

"Oh! Me too!" Faye raised her hands.

"I want!" Lauren joined.

And while both brothers laughed, the women both sighed. Without the ice cream to distract them, Faye and Lauren were quick to join Kaila's side.

"Fine you girls can have some." Nina caved in. "But you're sharing one. You've already had enough desserts for tonight."

Happy enough to be getting some they nodded as they waited for Nina to return with another slice split onto three tiny plates with animals on them.

Ignoring the forks provided, the girls dug in with their hands. "What do you girls think about my pie?" Nelson curiously asked.

"Yummy." Lauren told him with a mess all over her mouth.