Chapter 70: Imperfect Reflection

Within the span of a month Lain felt as if she had her life back together. Not having heard a word from her mom, nor the brothers, the woman honestly couldn't have been doing better. While part of her still questioned what they were doing, that part was far suppressed in the back of her head.

Putting all her efforts and attention back on her family, the woman found herself content again.

She was finally living her life the way she wanted to.

Free.

Free from any suspicion or crime. Everything seemed to be going up. Letting Nina and her girls guide her in their daily lives, Lain hadn't felt more at ease with the world.

The last thing on her mind was worrying about the people she had put behind her. Right now the only thing that she paid any mind to, was the three girls snuggled together between her and Nina as they all watched cartoons together.

All evening the family laid in the couples large bed watching cartoon after cartoon. Everyone was so relaxed and comfortable that they all refused to get up even for the most demanding of reasons.

Or they at least they tried.

Hearing someone knocking on their door downstairs, the couple brushed it off as some sales person coming door-to-door for some random product they would have no use for. Staying cuddled besides their girls, they let the knocking continue...

...and continue...

....and continue...

Sighing Nina had enough. Removing Lauren from off her chest, the woman shushed her little girl briefly before she took off downstairs to the cause of the noise. She was irritated that the knocking forced her away from her family.

Swinging the front door open, Nina was ready to tell whoever was out there off, but instead her jaw dropped down as the ends of her mouth went up.

"Nicky! Nelson!" She squealed pulling her brothers in through the front door before embracing them in a firm hug. "It's so good to see you two again!"

"It's good to see you too, sis." Nickolas, the older of the twins, said as he returned the affection.

"Don't get me wrong it's great to see you too, sis. But can you let go, N, I can't feel my fingers!" Nelson, the youngest of the twins complained as he pushed his way out of Nina's hold.

Chuckling the woman took a step back looking at her brothers. The last time all three of them were in the same place was sometime back in college. Ever since the three siblings got jobs and started building families of their own, they hardly found the time to all come together.

Taking a look at them one at a time, Nina couldn't believe her eyes. She didn't want to believe she was staring at her younger brothers. Instead all she saw was were two young men with the same mocha skin and curly hair she was given, with the exception of a new set of muscles and facial hair.

She laughed harder as she raised an eyebrow. "I never took you as a mustache man, Nelson." She teased as her youngest brother proudly put his hair on display.

"Took me a year to grow this out." He praised his small line of hair along the top of his lips confidently.

"Yeah, well it took me three years to grow these out." Nickolas had to add in as he flexed his new muscles through his shirt.

"I'd like to see you grow this out in a year, Nick."

"Oh you're so on, Nelson! You wouldn't even be able to put on muscle if your life depended on it!"

"If you both came here just to argue in my house then I can gladly show you back out." Nina laughed as they stopped their bickering. "That's better. But what are you guys doing here anyways?"