Chapter 9: Red and Blue

As the sun slowly began its journey back down towards the horizon Kaila sat at the foot of her new bed staring out her window. Everything around just seemed like a dream.

While she was only seeing the outside world through a glass wall it still seemed closer than ever before. Watching how the leaves and branches of the trees danced with the wind was one of the most majestical things she had seen.

Putting her elbows down on her legs and her head in her hands, she sat for hours as the nature outside was her entertainment. Watching as the various animals made their appearance she smiled. All the animals seemed so friendly. Even a family of deer stopped by the pond in the distance taking a break as they drank the water.

She never wanted this to end.

While it was upsetting for her to watch the family of deer start back on their journey into the surrounding trees, Kaila knew they had to return home.

"Home?" She whispered quietly. "How do you determine what's home?" She asked herself.

While the couple called this space her room, and referred to this house as her home. She pondered whether it was true. "What makes someplace a home?" She questioned.

Clearly she already had an example of what wasn't a home. She closed her eyes shutting out the beautiful masterpiece of nature, as she let her mind take her back. Back two years. Before everything happened. Who she was and what she was doing were the questions she needed answers to.

The last thing she can remember from her old home was the lights.

But not just any lights.

These lights weren't just any normal fixture in the house, they were the brightest blue and red lights alternating into her bedroom window. There was commotion out her room door. But for as hectic as the situation was she knew exactly what was going on.

From the shouts of her father and mother she knew what to do. Having gone through this a hundred times before, the girl sitting on the edge of her bed couldn't remember what she was doing beforehand, but as soon as the ruckus happened whatever she was doing stopped.

Dropping down and opening the hidden door inside of her closet, she crawled into her hiding place. Replacing the false door behind her, the girl put her hands over her mouth breathing deeply.

She tried calming herself down.

Usually events like this only lasted about a minute or so. Normally after her parents finished yelling at their sudden guests telling them to leave their property, things usually went back to normal. But this wasn't like any normal encounter.

The level of yelling was worst and Kaila could hear her mother crying from the living room directly outside her bedroom door.

Bringing her breathing down to a quieter level she held onto her legs tucked into her chest. The space was small and dark. Just big enough for her to fit in.

Keeping her body propped away from the false wall, she tried to keep as quiet as she could. Slowly her fathers yelling became less noticeable. He was slowly getting quieter by the second.

Thinking things were getting better she released her hand from her mouth breathing in deeply to catch her breathe. The entire time her heart felt like it was going to explode. Taking in one deep breathe after another she let her head rest on the wall behind her as she gulped.

Normally her mother would yell for her that they were in the clear. But even she was silent. Kaila hadn't heard a thing from either of her parents in what seemed like an eternity. Slowly as her fears rose once again, she curled her legs even closer to her chest.