Chapter 81: Anchor

Ever since Nickolas and Nelson left the family's home, Lain had stuck herself inside of her bedroom once again. The last thing she wanted was for her girls to question her about her sudden shift in moods.

But after hours of being alone in her room with the door shut, Nina got worried not seeing her wife around the house. Leaving the girls occasionally to check on Lain, Nina wasn't surprised to find their locked.

After several attempts to get in, Lain dismissed her wife over and over again begging for some time to herself. In Lain's mind, staying away from Nina meant keeping their relationship intact. Her wife wouldn't have to hear about her problems and everything would be alright in a few days.

However, with Lain locking herself away again, Nina hated as the feeling of deja vu made its way back into her heart. It made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up and gave her stomach a horrible ache.

Seeing as the girls were doing fine as they played with their stuffed creations in Faye's room, Nina was about to walk away to check on Lain again before Kaila stopped her.

"Mama?" She asked.

Mentally sighing as she turned around, Nina grinned back. "What do you need baby?"

"Bottle please." She politely asked with a smile.

Nodding her head Nina looked at her other girls. "Lauren do you want a bottle too?"

"No."

"Faye, do you want your sippy?"

Shaking her head as she talked with her stuffed gingerbread man, Nina walked out momentarily. Rushing downstairs and making Kaila her bottle, she returned a minute later.

By the time she came back she could see Kaila was now sitting strangely. "Here you go princess." She passed the bottle over as she watched Kaila awkwardly reach for it. Raising an eyebrow Nina asked. "Do you need mama to change you sweet girl?"

Blushing as she shook her head Kaila stuck the bottle into her mouth before returning to play.

Sighing externally now, Nina walked over and checked her little girls diaper. Seeing it was clearly wet she tsked her tongue. "Come on you." She said while whisking the girl away.

"No mama. Playing!" Kaila fought to stay while the others carried on without her but Nina only held her tighter.

"Sorry cutie, but mama doesn't want you getting a rash with that wet diaper of yours." Walking into Kaila's room, Nina gathered all of her supplies after placing the girl on her floor.

Kaila whined and protested the entire time wanting nothing more than to be back in Faye's room playing make believe.

Shushing her, Nina began to quickly make the switch after a thorough cleaning. "Mama will be done soon." She said as she applied a cold wipe onto her little ones bottom making her whine even more. "I know it's cold baby, why don't you just focus on drinking your milk for mama." She tried to shift the girls attention.

While it worked in making Kaila's whines soften, Nina made quick work to get the new diaper attached to the girls waist. The woman put Kaila's warm pants back on after disposing the soiled item and washing her hands. Cradling her upset baby in her arms, Nina waited until Kaila calmed down enough before taking her back to the others.

"Finish your bottle for mama." She reminded as she sat Kaila back down next to her Jasmine themed bear.

Watching them for another second, Nina smiled as Kaila was instantly sucked back into the girls world of imagination, completely forgetting about the cold changing that just occurred. Making their stuffed friends dance along a makeshift stage, the woman finally left to address the other situation brewing in the household.