47. Voiceless

The bow tie was highly uncomfortable so Xiaojun was fidgeting with it considering whether to just take it off, or was it just the stress, the microphone sweaty in his palm when he was walking up and down the path leading to the stage. It has been a private event, still Chenle had invited over 800 people to his wedding. There goes the hope to perform in front of friends and family only. It's not that he hasn't performed in front of bigger crowds before it was just that today he was supposed to sing.

"Breath. You look so funny when you're so stressed," Yangyang approached him grinning widely.

"I am," Xiaojun was ready to bite, that was absolutely the wrong timing to make fun of him.

"You look great and will sing amazingly," Yangyang took his hands off the bow tie straightening it.

Xiaojun was stealing glances at his boyfriend, who how to put it was simply stunning.

They heard a rumor of many voices, it meant the gift time had ended and all the guests were heading out for the performance, and Mr. Jeno will be there with his family. Xiaojun felt his palms and feet becoming numb.

"Breath," he told himself.

"Hey, it's not me who should sing out there today, but you, the boy with that voice," Yangyang pulled him into a hug rubbing his sides. "You will be as amazing as during homecoming."

Xiaojun sighed at the memory, yet homecoming was coincidence of many unfortunate happenings coming together so he had stopped to care about anything back then, but now, now so many people were counting on him, his fathers and annoying sister including.

"Boys are you ready?" Their manager raised his voice.

"Coming!" shouted Yangyang lifting Xiaojun's face in his palms. "Imagine we're in my dormitory in that tiny bunk bed and you're singing for me only," he whispered before connecting their lips for a sweet peck. "Good luck."

With these words Yangyang let go running towards the stairs leading on stage.

Xiaojun was watching the flowerbeds, the distant trees and the lawn, some butterflies were happily chasing each other.

He took a loud breath turning towards the stage running up seeing Yangyang who was already warming up the crowd with some jokes. Xiaojun entered tossing a glance over the massive crowd, he wasn't able to distinguish any face as there was just buzzing in his ears, everything blurring out.

"With a special dedication to Mr. and Mrs. Zhong a song called 'My forever'!" Shouted Yangyang receiving massive applause.

The band started to jam when Yangyang's rap filled the stage, he as was fierce as always giving his all when Xiaojun was standing there awkwardly trying to bounce to the beat yet he felt he might faint.

'Every hour, every decade, every century into eternity..." Yangyang rapped his last line turning to Xiaojun who lifted the mic trying to form words but there was just silence. The band playing the chorus, Yangyang gave them a sign to repeat, but Xiaojun was still like frozen. The crushing world on replay, the pieces flying, his mother screaming...

He heard Yangyang's shy singing voice carrying the chorus till the next verse, singing his part when Xiaojun was trying to hum some background vocals.

"Thank you, it has been my special song for the lucky couple," Yangyang bowed handling the situation so professionally.

"Now we will play our first hit single," he said giving the band another sign to change plan walking to Xiaojun to lean towards his ear.

"Can you rap? You can freaking rap, just nod."

Xiaojun nodded so Yangyang sighed taking a few steps back when they began to rap their old songs.

'I will never sing again
Even if my whole exists is music
You have left the perfect scar
To stop me from my dream
I will never sing
Will never ever sing
Never ever sing again
Never sin...'
The door to the dusty garage at the back of Chenle's villa opened causing Xiaojun to become quiet. He has hidden here right after the performance to not to speak with anyone, not to see their disappointed faces, especially Mr. Jeno's.

"No you're signing," Yangyang's voice cut the silence.

"Because no one is listening."

"Am I no one?"

"You... you are my everything. I can sing for you always," Xiaojun raised his head to meet Yangyang's stubborn gaze.

"I can't have Mr. Jeno kicking us out. That record deal is the only reason for my parents to allow me to stay here and he was really upset. I begged him to give you one more chance during the national music awards. I told him I will bring you to sing until then."

"The award is in two weeks," Xiaojun felt a cold shiver.

"Time isn't the problem here, you have mastered all those songs to perfection already," Yangyang walked towards him crouching down as Xiaojun has been sitting on two straw sacks in the corner. Yangyang's warm palms tangled around his.

"I'm a disappointment," whispered Xiaojun.

"Stop being over dramatic," Yangyang's lips twitched up in a smile.

"Is it for real? Are your parents only allowing you to be here because of the contract?" asked Xiaojun.

"Last time we have spoken they had been pretty clear about that," Yangyang's grip on his palms tensed.

Xiaojun knew how much Yangyang was struggling and what effort it took for him to try to call his parents once in a while.

"So we need this contract," Xiaojun felt a cold shiver.

"Yes we need it and Mr. Jeno is firstly a producer, and once a producer finds out you can sing like that he will never be satisfied with your middle level rap."

Xiaojun nodded. Yangyang was right again, how much he hated it there was no other way.

 Yangyang was right again, how much he hated it there was no other way

Thank you so much for your love. Did you enjoy the chapter? What do you think about Xiaojun being unable to sing at Chenle's wedding and Yangyang helping him? Will they manage to keep the contact?

Much <3