25. King & Queen

"Maybe Jaemin has paid her to assist his baby here," Sura giggled.

How much he hated Sura, really.

"Come Xiao babe let's forget those losers," the girl wrapped her arms around his neck blowing some hot air in between his hair, when a cold shiver run down his spine. She was too affectionate but he couldn't give Sura the satisfaction.

"Sure," he whispered. "Wanna dance?"

"With pleasure," the girl took his hand when he pulled her on the dance floor.

He knew people were watching, Yangyang was watching for sure, but it was all mixing inside him - heartbreak, disappointment, sadness, pain.

So he was just dancing with the girl who had no freaking idea what personal space meant cuddling to him as if they were more than a couple, still he kept that act wrapping his hands around her waist bouncing to the rhythm.

It continues for long painful songs until the music stopped and the school speaker announced the voting for king and queen has ended and the scores will be read out now.

"I wonder who they will choose?" the girl put her arm on Xiaojun's shoulder.

"Some losers definitely," whispered Xiaojun who had caught Yangyang's stare on him.

"The winners are here, in that envelope," the boy on stage opened it reading through it his face becoming extra awkward. "I guess no one has ever imagined that score. So the queen of the ball is Eve Nong," he read out when the girl next to Xiaojun clapped loudly.

"I'm not even from this school and I have won," she nudged his arm.

"Congrats," he said in the same dry way.

"The king of homecoming is a famous rapper. Congrats to Huang Na Xiaojun!"

The world seemed on delay, like what, freaking what. Xiaojun was standing there with his jaw dropped until that Eve pulled him on stage.

"Hi king and queen how do you feel?" asked the school speaker.

"We're the hottest couple at school so," Eve smiled.

She pressed the microphone into Xiaojun's trembling hand.

"I... don't feel at all," he stuttered receiving a round of laughter.

The students crowded around the stage like an audience, phones raised like during a concert.

"But before we will give you the crowns you have a mandatory challenge, the school has voted for," the speaker giggled.

"What is it?" asked Eve.

"For you my queen it will be dancing," he said when her smile faded.

"B-but I can't dance."

"Sorry for it," he smiled in a mean way.

Eve was close to tears when she turned to the audience, the performing DJ gave her a beat when she started something that looked like a really poor attempt to dance, all recorded by the happy crowd. It became dark in front of Xiaojun's eyes when she finished hiding behind him pressing her face into his shoulder, he felt she was trembling from embarrassment.

"Ok, give applause to the queen, now it's time for our king to show us something," the boy winked to the crowd. "Your challenge will be to sing."

There were squeals and boos, when Xiaojun's heart was racing so much he thought it will leave his chest, his gaze falling on Yangyang who was standing in the back with Sura, their eyes meeting for a scary moment when he was considering it all.

Would he lose something he has already lost. Would it ever matter again. A man on the bottom of the sea can as well do anything.

"Give me a guitar and a mic stand," he said surprisingly calmly.

"Can you sing? I thought you a rapper?" asked Eve letting go of him but he ignored walking to the chair the music teacher prepared for him, taking the acoustic guitar from one of the school band's boys, sitting down, everything calm, like after a storm that has destroyed the world leaving it empty when he checked the strings then played the intro, the whole room becoming extra quiet.

'My best friend smiles to a girl on the school yard

My heart dies a bit again,

falls heels over head again

Crushes against his smile,

hearts ain't made to be smart

ain't made to be smart

My best friend brings me on the edge, talks about hate

Even worse when he talks about love,

falls head over her

Breaks my tiny heart,

hearts ain't meant to be, but

Friends ain't meant to be, but

I'm in love with my best friend

His good his bad side and his smile

I'm in love with my best friend

I love the sparkle in his eyes

I'm in love with my best friend

He's mean he's bitchy and we fight

I'm in love with my best friend

I love the starlight in his eyes...'

The song was flowing smoothly, like some magical heaviness growing wings to not to lay upon his heart, just fly away.

There was a sea of phone lights, like a crowd of candles all around him when he risked to look up, no one laughed, all listening when he was falling into the song singing louder, giving his all into the way he has dreamed to sing for ages but never allowed himself to.

'My friend

Is the better part of me

I have never let anyone so close

But he, is the space in me

So I, I'm in love with my best friend,

His good his bad side and his smile

I, I'm in love with my best friend

I love the starlight in his eyes.'

Thank you so much for your support

Thank you so much for your support. How did you like the chapter, I must say it was one of my favorite to write. What about Xiaojun becoming homecoming king ans singing his confession song to his best friend? How will Yangyang react?

Much <3