15. Genius

It was way after midnight when Xiaojun was sneaking towards the tent carrying his towel, he went to take a shower in the youth shelter underneath the observatory building. The night up here was fresh and chilly the stars magnificent, he wondered if his parents could see him form up there. He wished to say sorry so much, to express how deeply sorry he is. He has never intended anything bad, why did it end that way. There was no way to change it though, no way to turn back time and make it right again. The only thing he could do was to stick to the promise he has given himself on that day and never sing again even though every piece of him was drawing him towards music. It was the only way to express what he needed to say, yet couldn't do, the only way to survive the cruel reality his sensitivity wasn't dealing with enough.

"...he is a music genius," there was a girl whispering so he stopped in the shadow of a tree narrowing his eyes and fixing his glasses.

It were Sura and her friend.

"I know but Yangyang is way more handsome, besides I believe Yangyang will be more famous with the looks he has," Sura laughed.

"Will we go to their tent I think the teachers are sleeping," asked the other girl.

"Yangyang has texted me that he's waiting for us," Sura started to walk down the meadow towards the tenets when Xiaojun hurried his steps.

They were right at his one when he covered their way.

"What?" asked Sura unpleasantly, she was taller than him so he felt extra small.

"This is boys tent, no girls allowed," he said trying to sound as confident as possible.

"We want to have some fun!" hissed Sura.

"And my Paps will kill me if I will be reported for detention for breaking school rules, so there is no way I will let you step into this tent" Xiaojun crossed his arms.

"Great! Loser!" Sura stomped into the ground.

"Come! Come or the teacher will catch us," her friend dragged her away towards the girls' tents when Xiaojun took a loud breath.

A moment later he opened his tent crawling inside. Yangyang was wrapped in a blanket and sleeping bag, he must have been awake, must have heard, Xiaojun shivered. Will his friend be mad?

Yet there was a total silence surrounding him when he laid down wrapping himself into the second sleeping bag. Minutes became long, the silence was buzzing, it was extra cold in this freaking uncomfortable tent.  Couldn't he go to Hawaii with Renjun and Jaemin? What if he did? There would have been Sura here in his place?

A warm person cuddled to his side causing an electricity shock.

"This song today was dope, you said exactly what I wanted to say," whispered Yangyang cuddling his head under his arm.

"Thanks," Xiaojun had no idea what to do, wasn't Yangyang mad about him telling Sura to leave?

"There was..." Yangyang move up resting his head on his arm watching Xiaojun in the darkness.

"What?"

"Nothing just remembered when our music teacher in first grade in middle school said you have absolute hearing."

"Has he said it?" asked Xiaojun stunned.

"I always admired how you're able to play any melody after hearing it once. How you can create lyrics like that out of the blue," Yangyang's cheeks went up in a smile.

"What do you mean?" Xiaojun was hot and cold.

"Just saying it's dope to have a genius best friend, super dope," Yangyang laid back pressing his forehead against the crack of Xiaojun's neck, his hair ticklish.

Xiaojun was lying there unable to breath in properly as Yangyang's closeness, his words, it all was waking up golden butterflies in his stomach. Playing so many tones in his head.

"I love..." whispered Xiaojun barely catching some air.

"What!" Yangyang raised up abruptly.

"I love music always did," Xiaojun was thankful for the darkness in the tent the way his face was burning.

"That's good, for a second I thought you're confessing to me and I thought I'll die, so scary," Yangyang laughed in a awkward way before lying back pressing even closer to Xiaojun.

Xiaojun's heart was racing so much it almost left his chest but he stayed quiet.

The stadium was filled till the last stands, a sea of green lightsticks around them when they were performing their hearts out although Xiaojun's heart was somewhere else. The stage gave him a tiny breather from the constant pain the heartbreak was causing. Yangyang and Sura seemed more than official now spending each break and free afternoon together, holding hands in school corridors or kissing in abandoned corners. Despite it Yangjun's career was rolling up like a launching spaceship, they almost had no more time for sleep too busy traveling, performing, recording, visiting famous programs and radio shows, staring in variety shows. The days became hectic, Xiaojun was mostly learning in the van or doing homework backstage. He got used to the cameras following him almost everywhere he went, to random strangers approaching as if they had known him for ages.

In all of this he suddenly missed the old times, being the outcast, just him and Yangyang. Yes, this has been the best part, having Yangyang exclusively for himself.

Unfortunately the last song ended, they bowed and waved, thanked the audience then left the stage. It was a huge festival, many bands performing so they could wait backstage for the encore but Jeno needed them to catch a plane the next morning so as minors they were free now.

"Have you packed, I mean we won't have time tomorrow," Ynagyang was catching in heavy breaths.

"Yes," Xiojun shrugged.

"Boys let's keep going, take your stuff I'll drop you off," their manager fell into the changing room.

They nodded collecting their belongings in silence, Xiojun has noticed there was a lot of silence between them lately. Suddenly there was nothing to talk about, definitely nothing he wished to hear.

"Um Xiojun... have you found a homecoming date yet?" Yangyang turned his way.

 have you found a homecoming date yet?" Yangyang turned his way

Thank you so much for your brilliant support. What do you think about Xiaojun getting in Sura's way and his conversation with Yangyang? Is their friendship shuttering because of the new situation? How will Xiaojun handle it?

How do you like Turn back time and WayV's new album? I'm addicted to After Midnight.

Much <3